Can The Round Fake Look Be Achieved for Breast Augmentation?

I am 5'3 roughly 130lbs and a 36" D - I have a wide chest. I am pretty maxed out at about 800cc each of silicone cohesive gel implants placed subfascially. My surgeon specializes in the more natural look and I want the round fake look. I would prefer bigger and rounder, is this possible...would the placement and type of implant have to change or how does one achieve the 'round, fake' look?

800 cc the max

With 800 cc implants, you have maxed out  unless you go with saline and overexpand them. I do not recommend that.

Goal of "fake look"

You are correct.  An 800cc is a large implant & in fact, the largest silicone implant manufactured in the U.S.  The only way to go larger and get the “fake look” would be to use a saline implant.  The downside is that you would more likely see rippling.

The round

In dealing with the public, I have found that there are many different aesthetic goals from patients. Many want a very natural look and many want a very round "fake" look. As the surgeon, it is important for me to understand the desires of my patient and turn that dream into a reality. It is important to know that roundness and size are related, but not an absolute. You don't have to have a big implant to achieve a round appearance or need to have the implant placed on top of the muscle to a achieve a round look. I have many patients with small "C" and Medium "C" cup breasts with a very round appearance. The patient's anatomy does have a significant influence on the overall result. In the right patient, the use of an ultra-high profile implant placed under the pectoralis major muscle can achieve an attractive and very round "fake" appearing breast.

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Round look

The round and fake look is created with a relatively large implant, and very small pre-operative breasts, because you are mostly seeing the implant.  So the ability to achieve that look depends on how much breast tissue you started with, and going with a large implant.  High profile saline implants can be placed in the same plane and overfilled to about 960cc.

Dennis Dass, MD

Using a large implant with lots of projection (high or extra-high profile) placed above the muscle will contribute to the fake look that most surgeons struggle to avoid. 800 cc is as large as silicone implants come. You can go a bit larger with 800 cc saline by overfilling, but you may also achieve the added unnatural look of visible ripples along the implants' edges. 

Do bear in mind that the larger the implants, the more damage will be done by time and gravity. 

All the best. 

Silicone 800 cc Implants

One alternative is to place high profile saline implants that can be filled to a larger volume.  However, most plastic surgeons will recommend not having 1000 cc implants due to the long term effects on the tissues.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Round, Fake Implants

The round, fake look is more apparent in an above the muscle pocket with large implants.  Hope this helps.

Peter J. Simon, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Ultra high profile implants

The look you are looking for will be achieved with either ultra high profile implants or  Saline implants significantly over filled above there normal size. I personally would not recommend  those if your breast width and breast tissue characteristics are not suitable since you may have problems later down the road such as bottoming out etc.

Good luck 

Fuller, rounder upper pole often described as "fake" look

Thank you for the question.  If you are trying to achieve even more upper pole fullness tab your 800 ml silicone implants are providing you will have to consider the location on your chest that the implant is placed and whether your breast tissue and pocket can maintain that location.  Often that very round look is accomplished by a high profile implant under a tight breast tissue envelope.  Saline implants will have even more projection but I would not recommend this in the subfascial position.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Achieving “Round, Fake Look” with Breast Augmentation?

There are many factors involved when it comes to achieving the “fake, round look” after breast surgery. Firstly, the patient's anatomy will dictate what can and cannot be achieved. For example, if the patient has a significant amount of breast and/or soft tissue  present, it may be difficult to achieve the “round, fake look” that is best achieved when the breast implant is more visible through the breast envelope.

Also important will be the proper positioning of the breast implants on the chest wall.  Selection of breast implant size/profile/type will also play important roles.   Again, for example,  saline breast implants ( sometimes overfilled) may be helpful in achieving the more projecting look that some patients are trying to achieve.

You may find the attached link helpful to for more specifics.