How long does a breast fat transfer augmentation last?

Fat Injection Longevity

We have been performing fat transfers to the breast since the early 1990's. This evidence supports long term longevity.Please consult with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in person prior to making treatment decisions.

The fat transfer is permanent.

The fact is transferred as a tissue graft. The fat picks up a new blood supply and survives in the new location as a living tissue and therefore it should be a permanent result. The amounts of tissue that survives the transplant is variable so often we over correct based on a clinical judgment of how much tissue will survive on average.This procedure has become increasingly popular and is very successful in selected cases where you have some fat to harvest and your expectations are not a massive increase in breast size.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Long term results of fat transfer

In theory, fat transfer should last forever, or at least the fat cells that have taken up residence in their new location should remain alive and well for your lifetime. As you gain and lose weight these cells will act like any other fat cell in your body and grow and shrink also. 

Tracy Kayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Permanent results as long as your weight is stable

I have been doing fat grafting for 10 years and have been following my patient. The results last but will change with the weight fluctuation. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question. About 60-70% of the grafted fat survives.  At 6 months you will have a good idea of your results. Some women have a second or third procedure which continues to increase your volume safely. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

The natural augmentation method

Fat transfer is permanent, however not all of the transplanted cells will survive. It takes 3-6 months to have an idea of what your result will be. Once the cells are there they will expand and contract with you if you lose or gain weight. As an augmentation method it is not uncommon to require multiple sessions to get your desired result (the amount of cells transferred is limited by the initial size of the tissues). This method provides less volume than an implant, but since it's you're own tissue has a very natural, soft result. Make sure your surgeon has experience with fat grafting as the survival of your graft can vary with surgeon experience. Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. The transfer of fat is analogous to planting seeds. If you were to imagine a farmer planting a garden the optimal results would result in an even distribution of seeds giving the best chance of germination and growth. To place all the seeds in one hole, would significantly affect the ability of the seeds to germinate. In a similar manner, the transfer of fat requires harvesting and introduction with methods that best preserve its survival. This can vary from surgeon to surgeon and also the areas from which the fat is removed and also to where it is transferred. However, once integrated into the body, it has the potential to last a lifetime. I would certainly discuss this with a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in these matters. I would invite you to visit the videos on my website that discuss the concepts of fat transfer. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser- Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Breast fat grafting

Fat grafting in general should be permanent, but typical 70-80% takes. Smaller volumes are preferred in the breast to prevent complications such as non-take and calcifications on mammogram.
We use Vaser ultrasound liposuction and centrifuge spinner for optimal fat preparation for better grafting results.
An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations.