Is something wrong with it? What's the best procedure type, and how much would it cost? (Photo)

I have always been a bit self conscious about my vaginas appearance, it can also be very uncomfortable when I wear certain underwear and tight clothes...any suggestions on what procedure I can have done to feel a bit more comfortable ?

Doctor Answers 18


Nothing is wrong with yours... actually it looks great when compared to others in the world.  Can you have less labia and hood?  Certainly!  But this should be decided by you and only you.  As you already have been told, you can have procedure done.  If you're willing to pay, you theoretically have have anything done.  So please make sure this procedure will provide you with the results you desire.  Your surgeon should provide you with choices about what look you want, what scarring your accepting of, and if you want a natural look or an amputated look that so many mutilated patients have.  Bottom line, its your choice.  Fees vary widely as well and I know I'm at the bottom of the spectrum... but I know my results are as good as those charging 3-4 times as much as you really want a surgeon with great judgment.  And admittedly, I am on the conservative side and have a great revision policy if you want a little more done.... make sure your surgeon has a policy you can live with as some will say its good enough and they won't offer you anything else.

Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews


You seem like a good candidate for a basic labia minora reduction.  Be sure to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience in Labiaplasty

John G. Hunter, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Genital concerns

I don't see anything wrong with your genital structure.  If you are having discomfort or you don't like the appearance, there are many ways to assess each issue and treat them, and even surgically change the structural appearance.  This can be based on your hormonal status and menstrual status, the specific skin condition, presence of any normal or abnormal bacteria, and your symptoms, and more.  You should see an general and cosmetic gynecologist that can address each of these issues and choose a management or procedure that best fits your needs.  In my experience, evaluation is key, and management can include surgical and non-surgical options. 

Is something wrong with it? What's the best procedure type, and how much would it cost?

Thank you for the question and photographs. You have enlargement of your labia minora (inner labia). This can be treated with a labiaplasty procedure. An extended wedge labiaplasty removes excess tissue to give a "tucked in" or "neat" look. Consult with several surgeons and look at their before and after photos.

Austin Hayes, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Your vagina looks totally normal. You have no reason to be self conscious about a normal appearing vagina.

You can have the size of your labia reduced for any reason at all, but abnormal appearance isn't one of them. They are already normal. Nonetheless, they can be made smaller. Your photos don't show the back end of the labia near the perineum. Without seeing this area, it not possible to make a complete assessment of suitable techniques. In general, linear labiaplasties work for everything and wedge labiaplasties work for less than everything, but you need to assess the posterior portion of the labia for a complete answer.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews


You're a great candidate for a labiaplasty. I prefer my technique of a True labiaplasty or a modified posterior wedge technique. I believe it provides a more aesthetic result. Click the link below to learn more.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN
4.9 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Labiaplasty and reduction of clitoral hood

Thank you for the question.  Only the patient can make the decision if she wants to proceed with a labia minora reduction surgery.  Her reasons may be due to physical discomfort or she is displeased with the appearance..... either reason is acceptable as long as she is an informed consumer prior to making the decision.   I have written the largest paper in world on patients who were considering labia reduction surgery 550 patients in 4 years.  My partner Dr Moore and I asked each and every patient what they were trying to achieve for a post operative results and 98% wanted the labia at the level of the labia majora or lower than the majora .  IN other words they didn't want the minor to protrude.  Caucasian women also wanted their skin edges to appear pink or not dark.  This appearance is not possible doing a wedge resection this can only be accomplished by doing a linear resection.   I perform both techniques. You need to be extremely cautious when choosing a surgeon as a person who is unskilled and does a linear resection all to often remove way to much labia or do a complete amputation . On the other hand doing a wedge resection can result in a breakdown which can leave hideous results. Please choose your surgeon based upon experience, expertise, reputation and results.  Do not choose a surgeon based upon board certification ( I am board certified) alone or by being a plastic surgeon or gynecologist alone.  Many many patients have had horrible results from surgeons who are not skilled.  Choose  a surgeon wisely.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

John R. Miklos, MD, FPMRS, FACS
Atlanta Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Is there something wrong with my labia?

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora are normal but enlarged. If you dislike the appearance, a labiaplasty is a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

What to do

Thank you for your question. Nothing wrong in the picture just normal variation of labia minora.  Based on the picture labiaplasty can help . Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Ven Erella, MD
Austin Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

"Is something wrong with my labia? Cost to "fix" it??

Hello Friend from Phoenix,"Does my vagina look normal?"  The same question could be asked about one's nose, or breasts, or other parts of your body!  There is a delightful variation in size, shape, and location of the labia minora, majora, clitoral hood and vaginal introitus ("entryway.") We're all different and distinct; in fact, if you look closely, even the 2 sides of a woman's lips are anatomically different from each other.  Yes, it's all "normal." Yes, you have "robust" labia.  When a man has a "robust" penis or testicular size, he is not unhappy, but larger sized labial folds and/or clitoral hood tissue "bugs" many women, either visually and/or functionally.   Same as breast size, if a woman is on the bigger or smaller side, it can be bothersome to some women but not so to others.  And, just because you are "normal" (which you are), does not mean you might want to do something about it if bugs you visually, interferes with your self-esteem, holds you back sexually, causes hygenic difficulties, chafes with sports activities, slips out of thong undergarments, gets in the way with sexual intimacy, etc.  
So...  You are normal. You are robust.  Don't mess with it is it does not bother you. ("...If it ain't broke, don't fix it..!)  However, if it is an "issue," here is important advice for your self-protection (this comes from someone-me- who had done >650 labiaplasties on women of every size, shape, arrangement and individual desires, as well as someone who has been an "expert withness" in many legal cases involving "botched labiaplasites..!")  
1. Consult only with surgeons who "specialize" in this type of surgery (yes, you may have to travel), who can either show you evidence that they have either trained with an expert or have performed at least> 25 procedures (ask to see their own "before and after" photos.) There is nothing wrong with consulting with more than one surgeon to get different opinions. Also, do your homework! Look at several surgeon's websites. Become educated. SEE A SPECIALIST! 2. Best to work with a surgeon who can prove to you that they are skilled in both Curvilinear Resection ("Trim") AND modified V-Wedge surgical techniques, as then they can CHOOSE the exact procedure that would best fit both your anatomy and specific aesthetic desires. 3. Ask if you can speak with other women whom the surgeon has operated on, to get their opinions. 4. It is best if your surgeon performs your surgery under local anesthesia, perhaps in their own surgical suite. 5. Understand that it is hugely important to follow your surgeon's post-op instructions to the letter to get your best results!  
Costs: Very important you specifically ask for the "OUT-THE-DOOR" costs, as many surgeons will quote you only the "surgeon's fee" and then tack on thousands of dollars of hidden fees for facility, anesthesia, etc. Best is a surgeon who operates under "local anesthesia: safer & cheaper and ONLY experienced surgeons use "local" "Out-the-door" costs will vary ~ $4000- ~ 8,000.  Out fee in Davis, CA (near Sacramento) vary between US$5000 and US$6000 (including hood!), depending on complexity of the procedure... Sometimes it pays to "travel" to find the BEST surgeon. Our office pays up to 2 nights lodging for out-of-town patients...

My very best to you.  Please click on the link below for educational information.  Also, look at recent blogposts on the site; there is SPECIFIC information on the pros and cons of the individual techniques for labiaplasty -Michael P Goodman, MD  
Davis, CA, USA

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.