What could be wrong with my mouth if it's swollen and hurting?

A long time ago, I had to get a crown put on one of my back teeth. It's not a wisdom tooth, it's the 5th tooth back from my front tooth. Yesterday I noticed that the gum on top of the crown was swollen. Then as the day went on, it started to ache a little and now today my my cheek is swollen. My husband pointed it out to me. I'm thinking it's a tooth infection? I have no dental insurance. Could a family Dr help me? Thank you. :)

Doctor Answers 2

Mouth swollen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


The best option is to have a dentist take an X-ray to see if there is any infection originating from the teeth.  If you have tooth infection you will most likely need a root canal.  


Dr. Maddahi

Beverly Hills Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Swollen Mouth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have a tooth related infection that should be treated by a dentist. Even though a physician can prescribe you antibiotics, you will still have a tooth problem that needs to be addressed. I hope this helps!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.