I'm 2 weeks post tummy tuck for a ugly scar removal and BA. My belly button is black like a scab and feels lIke a scab. (photo)

Does belly button look normal for 2.5 weeks post op? It's a little red around and hurts 2 inches on the right and 2 inches on the left of it, I'm sure the pain are the muscles from sx but wonder could it be something else'? I'm still swollen but not overly swollen and tight and I still walk hunched over. When will I walk normal? Is this still normal at 2.5 weeks?

I'm 2 weeks post tummy tuck for a ugly scar removal and BA. My belly button is black like a scab and feels lIke a scab.

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information and pictures as well. I recommend to visit your PS to be checked, because your healing process does not look fine. Good luck :)

Mommy Makeover

Your belly button needs to be checked  by  your surgeon.Looks like you have some healing issues.You will start to walk normally soon, your body is still healing.Best wishes.

Tummy tuck - is my healing normal

Thank you for asking about your mommy  make-over recovery.

• The photo suggests that there may be some problems with the healing of your belly button.
  • Please return to your own surgeon to be checked.
  • Some women will still not be walking straight after 2 1/2 weeks although most are.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Healing and Recovery Following a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. Also some severe scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Belly button appearance after tummy tuck

Please express your concerns tomorrow with your surgeons office. You appear to have necrosis or an eschar of your belly button. You will likely start putting an ointment on the area with gauze until the area heals but again follow  your surgeons instructions. 

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

Belly Button

Thank you for sharing.  The picture indicates either scab or necrosis which can really only be evaluated by your surgeon in person.  Please call them to be evaluated as soon as you can.  I wish you the best.

Eric Minns, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and the photo. I would discuss this asap with your surgeon , best is to see him/her and make sure there is no necrosis developing in the area. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Belly button issues after Mommy Makeover

You do have an issue with your belly button but it is difficult to know if there is necrosis under that black eschar.  It might just be dried blood but it may be a belly button issue.

Talk with you doctor but be patient.  If there is a belly button issue then there are options to fix it.  

Belly button

Thank you for the question and photo and I would see my surgeon ASAP and express my concerns!

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Belly button

It appears from the photograph that the skin of the belly button has not survived the procedure and has turned black.  This can happen and will require you follow the instructions of your surgeon.

Your other questions should also be addressed by your surgeon.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon