Four weeks after breast augmentation surgery I noticed a black spot and hole along my stitch area. Should I be worried? (Photo)

This morning the hole is still there but black spot gone. The black spot looked like a stitch spit, but dissolving stitches aren't black are they? I called the PS and sent him these pictures. He said it looked superficial and not to be concerned. Could he really tell from these pictures that there is no implant exposure or infection? He does not feel a need to see me in person. It is tender to the touch. I do not see any drainage, but am still worried.

Four weeks after breast augmentation surgery I noticed a black spot and hole along my stitch area. Should I be worried?

Hello!  Thank you for your question and photos. Infection is always a worrisome issue following breast augmentation. Your concerns are valid and it is always recommended to bring any concern or issue to the attention of your surgeon.

Given your photos and absence of other signs and symptoms, it likely is a benign problem and believe it to be a spitting of a suture as well. However, it is always best to be evaluated in person to confirm and ease your concerns. If any new issues arise such as redness, increased pain, drainage, etc., it would be wise to call immediately and seek medical attention. Best wishes!  Hope that this helps. 

Hole in breast implant incision should be examined by your plastic surgeon

Your photographs  does not show a significant opening and it may well be a suture spit.  However if there is any increased clear fluid drains none there is risk of implant exposure.  I strongly suggest that you see your plastic surgeon for an in person examination.  Most likely you are fine.

Hole appearing along stitch area

Thank you very much for your message and photograph. I think your scar looks relatively healthy for this stage and it is located nicely in the fold and is not obviously open. There is some redness around the scar which suggests some inflammation and it may well be that the small hole was a stitch coming to the surface – this is relatively common. From the pictures it does look as if any irritation is superficial but it is very difficult to tell at this stage without seeing you in person. I would emphasise that if you are worried in any way schedule a consultation with your surgeon so that they can fully analyse the area and advise you accordingly.

Hole in Skin After Breast Augmentation

It is most likely a suture along the incision line. You should see your surgeon for sure to confirm that there is not an opening down to the level of the implant.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Worried

Fever, pain, drainage? Looking at the picture you provided, I don't see anything alarming, but if you are concerned or worried, it is best to see your MD in person for an evaluation. Good luck

Sumanth Pagadala, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

It sounds like a stitch spit issue.  You are best to follow up with your surgeon to be properly evaluated in person. Best of luck.

Wound issue four weeks after breast augmentation should be brought to the attention of your surgeon.

From the photograph I can't make a diagnosis. By four weeks most incisions are sealed. You would do best by visiting your plastic surgeon.

Impossible to tell from a posted photo. Only in person examination allows a definitive response. Have very close follow up with your surgeon.... 

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for the photos and your question. It is hard to tell what the spot is just based on the photo. I would try and set up in person visit with your plastic surgeon. If you are concerned it is something that is best evaluated by your plastic surgeon. Good luck

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Wound infection after breast augmentation

Thanks for your inquiry and pictures.  I am glad your plastic surgeon saw the pictures and advised, but an exam in person would be best to address your concerns