Does this type of incision look normal at all? (photos)

I had a tummy tuck and lipo done on june 20th 2016. I was hospitalized on june 22nd for 4 days and also had a blood transfusion. My insision is awful and I looked deformed. I understand it takes 3-6 months to heal and sometimes more, but I have the most abnormal looking scar and the dr says it's how it should be. I have looked at hundreds of pics and see nothing even close to resembling what he has done to me. Is this something that is normal to have the insision down my leg?

Unacceptable Result

Hello,This will not look much better when you fully heal, but a revision will help greatly. Please visit ONLY a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons for revision surgery. Best of luck!

Incision is 'normal'

for having a tummy tuck where one side of the flap isn't the same length as the opposite side.  You do have an unorthodox pattern but perhaps this is something you discussed with your surgeon or had special considerations in your case.  Allow yourself to heal and let your surgeon know of your concerns and when you are done healing, then you should be able to critique your results and find what options you have if things are not what you expected.

Curtis Wong, MD

Incision issues

Thank you for the photos and question.  You are still in the early healing stages from your surgery.  Your scar pattern isn't the standard but it's hard to know where you started without pre-op photos.  You will see improvement in the rippling but may need a revision in the future for the groin area.  I would recommend you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and plan on waiting 6 month to assess the final outcome.Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

it is clear that the tissue has been tailored to the center to keep you with a shorter scar.  would be nice to see preop pictures so that we could see why. the pleating will disappear by 6 months and then you need to reassess how thing look.  I would love to see pictures then as well.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Normal Incision

It looks like you do have quite a bit if lose skin. Incisions can look very bunched up like yours when you have a lot of lose skin as it seems you do. I am not sure why yours seems to curve down at the edges a little. It is impossible for me to know the technique your surgeon used. I would allow things to heal and if you are not happy I would seek a second opinion from other surgeons to see if this can be improved upon. Remember every single patient is different. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Concern about appearance of incision at almost one month after surgery

Thank you for your message, and for posting the photographs.
It is very common for patients to be concerned about the appearance of surgery even very early after surgery.  After you have gone through all of the inconvenience and expense of a major procedure, it is natural that you would want to see the final result quickly.  The "emotional roller-coaster" is often particularly severe at the three to four week time frame.  At that point, you have been dealing with the surgery for a while, and it seems that everything should be healed by now.
Unfortunately, the body heals on its own schedule, and it is normal for many months to be required before you see your final result.  In the meantime, it can be frustrating.
While it is hard to know without seeing you, I don't see anything on the photographs suggesting that you are having any significant complication.  As far as evaluating your result, I really won't be able to help you without seeing your other photographs, and especially the photographs from before surgery.
My best advice would be for you to go back to see your surgeon again and explain your specific concerns, and specifically ask about any areas that bother you and whether those areas are likely to change.  Ask to see your pre-operative photographs for comparison.  Also, ask if there is anything you can do to hasten the healing process.
However, you should know that there is no way to make the body heal faster than it wants to, and it will likely be a while before you see your final result.
Good luck!

James Nachbar, MD

Scar placement for tummy tuck

While it is impossible to be definitive without seeing your pre-operative photos, I can say that your scar placement is highly unusual. I would imagine that during your preop consults, your surgeon showed you his usual scar sites and also whether you had some unusual problem requiring some deviation. I would think it appropriate to discuss this with your surgeon.  If the physician says he always does it this way, you made that hopefully informed choice. If not, get a second hands on opinion.

Jay B. Fine, MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon