Does my tummy tuck swells look normal? Incision? (Photo)

I am a couple days past my 3 week mark from TT and Breast Aug. I see my BSPS on Monday in Scottsdale AZ for the first time because I have only seen his NP, due to PS leaving town! I just want second opinions on how my tummy looks, that way I know if there are specific concerns or questions I should ask my Ps ? thank you all for your time:)

Healing & Swelling after a Mommy Makeover

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.  The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.The #healing process make take at least 3-4 months until you see your final results. I suggest you contact your surgeon or their medical staff and further inquire. At any time, you have any concerns about your healing or recovery, it's best to contact your plastic surgeon  sooner than later,  to prevent any possible infections or #healing complications.

Post-Op Tummy Tuck Questions & Answers

Thank you very much for your question and photographs. At three weeks postop, you are just beginning to heal. It will require six months to a year before you will see your final results. The bunching on the sides is not unusual at this point following surgery, and should smooth out over time. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Is this normal?

You appear to have normal swelling for your stage of healing. I would be patient as you are very early in the process. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon to discuss your concerns. Good luck!

Does my tummy tuck swells look normal? Incision?

Hello! Thank you for the question! There does not appear to be anything of concern on your photos. You appear to be healing well and wil have continued swelling for the next several weeks.  Final appearance as well as scar healing and location will take at lest this time.  It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself. Follow your surgeon's instructions for postoperative care of your incisions as well as when to begin scar therapy, if s/he allows

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Tummy swelling

Thank you for your question and photos.  For 3 weeks everything looks normal from your photos.  It can take 8-12 weeks for the swelling to resolve.  Continue to follow your PS instructions and follow up care.
Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Tummy Tuck

Thank you very much for your question.

It's very common to have swelling after an abdominoplasty.  It can take months for the final shape to appear (that's why I typically take pictures at the 3 month mark).  From the pictures, there doesn't appear to be anything of concern.  I would continue to follow closely with your plastic surgeon and follow their recommendations.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. It is normal to have swelling after a tummy tuck with liposuction. It is going to take several weeks to months for all of the swelling to resolve. I think you are off to a great start. I would follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations with regard to postoperative garment and activity restrictions. Best of luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Things are looking pretty good in you picture. You will notice bunching of the skin for quite some time. You just had a lot of lose skin and when you sure it all back together it bunches like that. When the sutures dissolve over the next several months it will flatten out. Overall I think you have an excellent result and it will only get better with time. You are very very early in the healing process so give this months, not weeks. Things will change slowly but they will change. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Puckering of the skin along and abdominoplasty incision can be the result of local swelling.

The type of puckering shown in the photograph is not uncommon after and abdominoplasty. Without the guarantee necessarily that it will go completely away, most of the time it will disappear as a swelling subsides. For the moment there's nothing to worry about.

Tummy tuck - how well am I healing?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• You seem to be healing well with a nice result.
  • The swelling is normal after a tummy tuck -
  • The puckering of the scars will improve and may vanish in time.
  • Be sure to discuss these with your surgeon but in the photos, everything looks good.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.