Had surgery 4 weeks ago, treated a very aggressive capsular contracture, what can I do to try and prevent another one? (Photo)

September of 2015 I had my original breast surgery, surgeon suggested to make pocket bigger , because I had a very mild tubular right breast. A few weeks after my surgery I had to go into an emergency surgery for a hematoma and later through out the year I developed a capsular contracture (all this on right breast). It's been 4 weeks since surgery, just had my drain taken out last week and my breast is still swollen. All surgeon is telling me is to be at bed rest, I'm extremely frustrated .

Had surgery 4 weeks ago, treated a very aggressive capsular contracture, what can I do to try and prevent another one?

It sounds to me like the capsular contracture developed as a result of your hematoma. It's unfortunate when one occurs but they do happen.  In such circumstances the odds of a recurrent capsule is IMO lower as long as you don't have post operative bleeding a second time.  Ask your surgeon if he would consider placing you on Singulair since it has a mild effect on decreasing capsule contracture recurrence in my experience. Good luck.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Strattice to prevent recurrent capsular contracture

It is not entirely clear from your description what you had done - I assume it was capsulectomy and implant replacement, which would be the usual approach for capsular contracture. After this type of procedure it is normal to have swelling that can last a while. If the contracture recurs and you need additional surgery, I recommend placement of a Strattice graft.

Richard Baxter, MD