Do I need to be more specific in finding a doctor for gynecomastia as a fitness competitor?

I have gynecomastia from either propecia or prohormone use (prohormones have been discontuned). I am a perfectionist and am nervous about the scarring and mostly the shape of the pecs after surgery. I have seen some after photos where there is an indentation and some "tugging" or creasing. Does the gland need to be totally removed and will this result in an indentation? Lastly, how do I find a surgeon that understands the unique situation of a fitness competitor?

Seek a Board Certified Surgeon Specialized in Gynecomastia Surgery

It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery. Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Choosing the right Plastic Surgeon is very important

You should consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and decide on course of treatment if necessary.
I have attached a link to help you choose the best one for you!

First, make sure you only see board certified plastic surgeons. Second, ask how many procedures the doctor has done and make sure you see the before and after photos. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Choosing your surgeon

Getting great results in gynecomastia is a bit harder than it looks. As with many procedures it is best to have a surgeon that does this type of surgery frequently. Ask questions and ask to see a lot of results.

Finding a Gynecomastia Specialist

Each gynecomastia case is unique, be sure that you not only see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, but one that specializes in gynecomastia. Check out before and after pictures so that you can get a good idea of the results you can expect. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

You do not have to be "specific" but you should do your due diligence and select your plastic surgeon carefully. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.  You may find the attached link, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Nipple irregularities aftertreatment for gynecomastia.

Most plastic surgeons treat gynecomastia fairly regularly. Almost always the results are smooth after treatment. Contour irregularities sometimes require a revision but this can usually be done under local anesthesia. Start by interviewing a couple of board-certified plastic surgeons making certain to see pre-and postoperative results.

Concerns about Gynecomastia surgery

I understand your concerns. These potential after-effects can happen; but it depends on the amount of overlying lax skin, amount of breast glandular tissue, and the characteristics of the adjacent tissues.  If any glandular tissue is left after the surgery, there will be a high reoccurrence rate of the breast mass, especially if you persist in taking the same growth stimulants. Sometimes, in male body builders, removing just the gland and feathering the surrounding tissues is enough to prevent the tethering of the areola, however, there are healing factors beyond our control that can override anything.  See an experienced plastic surgeon who treats these unique conditions frequently. All the best.

Sean T. Lille, MD

Finding a doctor for gynecomastia

Thank you for your question but this is a situation where you need to have a one on one discussion with several different plastic surgeons.  This is not the form to tell you the kind of direction you will need to make this decision because every patient and outcome is different and it is difficult to tell what your expectations are for this procedure.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia results

Thanks for your question and especially your concern. Like all things in life gynecomastia comes in many shapes and sizes. Occasionally we need only do liposculpting of the chest to address the problem; more often we need to do some gland excision as well via a small incision at the bottom half of the areola. The gland isn't totally excised it's carefully contoured and reduced to the degree needed depending on the size to start with. Occasionally, much larger surgeries are needed, but that would be very unlikely for a fitness competitor. In fact, you may only need gland contouring and not the liposuction for that if common in your group of patients. Of course all of this relates to your exam preoperatively. You would want to stop any medications that could be a cause of the issue. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon with significant experience with these surgeries for there are nuances to them.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon