Rupturing my own implant myself?

My questions are: 1. Best target areas? (Under and to the side of the armpit pulling tight)? 2. How may holes will I need to achieve full drainage of implant to match left side?

Self surgery

Thank you for your questions.  I would never recommend a patient try this herself.  Many things could go wrong and you could end up with a bleed, infection and lung perforation.  Please see a well trained plastic surgeon in  your area for a consultation and for your procedure!

Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Rupturing Your Own Implant

Thank you for your question. I do not recommend that you attempt to rupture your own implant. Please speak with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options. 

All the best. 

Should I rupture my own implant?

Thanks so much for your question.  This is not a great idea.  If the implant were to get infected you would get extremely sick and need urgent surgery.  I would see a plastic surgeon in your area who could help.  If money is an issue be honest with the surgeon.  Many surgeons are compassionate and would be willing to help you.  Please be careful with yourself.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Rupturing your own implant

Like others have said, in my opinion, this is a really bad idea for a lot of reasons. Placing a sharp object through your breasts in anticipation of hitting the implant is severely risky. Also, it's best if the deflated implant is removed as I have seen in my practice that this can deflate and become a point that has a sticking feeling with movement. I recommend that you have a plastic surgeon address this issue with you. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Rupturing your own implant

This is not a good idea and I agree with the other opinions that there could be complications from doing this yourself.  I would speak to your plastic surgeon to find out what options you really have.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rupturing Implant

Thank you for your recent question!  I do not recommend rupturing your own implant for many reasons.  Your plastic surgeon can help you drain your implants safely  and discusses other options.  Best of Luck!

Rupturing your implant

It can be very dangerous, for a variety of reasons, for a patient to rupture their implant. If you want your implants removed you should see a plastic surgeon.

Rupturing my own implant myself?

This is not a recommended thing to do.  I would suggest not doing this yourself for infection concerns, not to mention the potential life-threatening risks of severing a blood vessel or entrance into the chest.  The implant shell should be removed as well.  Consultation with a plastic surgeon for options of removal, potentially under local anesthesia in the office, may be an easily tolerated procedure.

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Rupturing your own implants

I don't recommend "rupturing" your own implants.  There is no safe method to perform this, the complication rate would be expected to be very high, and the outcomes unpredictable.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Self service surgery

This just is not a good idea.  If you have a ruptured implant and prefer to rupture the other side to match rather than remove both, this can be done safely with your surgeon.  Please don't attempt to do this yourself, you risk significant complications such as implant infection and pneumothorax.    

Kelly Killeen, MD