Can you get 2 procedures done at the same time in AZ? (photo)

Im getting a tummy tuck next month and my doctor said I would need a breast lift, can that be done the same day? Although I don't think I'm a breast lift candidate. My nipples don't point down. They are a bit lower then center but I would think i only need implants. Should I see another doctor for 2nd opinion and confirmation?

Having Two Surgeries Performed At One Time

Thank you for your questions. Provided that you are otherwise healthy, it is extremely common and safe to combine a tummy tuck with a breast lift. This is a combination of procedures that we do very frequently at our office.In regards to your second question about being a good breast lift candidate, I see two issues for you to consider when deciding which procedure is best for you: 1) the position of the nipple relative to the rest of the breast—specifically because it sits rather low, and 2) the significant portion of the breast that hangs below your fold. For these reasons, a lift will give you the best results. With that being said, a breast augmentation without a breast lift is most certainly an option. I would recommend that you discuss with your plastic surgeon what the outcome of a simple breast augmentation would look like. With this option, I would expect that your breasts will hang lower than hoped for, and your nipples will sit very low overall on the breast mound. Ultimately, while the operation can be performed this way, I believe that you will be most happy with a breast lift in addition to your breast augmentation. Best of luck to you!

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.It is quite common to have these two procedures performed at the same time. Second opinions/consultations are always a good idea. Make sure to consult with board certified plastic surgeons. Best of luck!

Multiple Procedures and Advice

Yes, it is typical to perform a combination on procedures, such as a breast augmentation/ breast lift along with a tummy tuck. This combination of procedures is often referred to a Mommy Makeover and is quite common to perform on one surgery day. If you are uncertain about your procedures, my recommendation is to visit more than one board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss to fully understand your goals. This will allow you to gather a clearer idea of expectations of the various procedures you intend on having, financial budget needed, and recovery time. This is my best recommendation, as every practice and individual doctor will vary, especially when you are considering a combination of procedures as you stated. It is also very important that you feel comfortable in the hands of your surgeon. Best of luck!

Jay Burns, MD

Can I have multiple procedures performed at the same time?

Thanks so much for your question.  The short answer is yes!  It is very normal to have a few procedures performed at the same time.  This will essentially save on cost with your surgeon and the facility and anesthesia.  It will also allow for only one recovery versus having to go through multiple recoveries.  The bigger question is do you want to have multiple procedures done at the same time.  Based on your photos you do look to be a candidate for a breast lift if this is something that you are interested in doing.  Don't be talked into additional surgery if it isn't something you want to have done.  It's probably a good idea to get a second consult to hear an additional opinion so you can make a well informed decision for yourself about what is the best course of action for you and your specific goals.  Hope this all makes sense.  Good luck.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover options

Thank you for the question and photo.  Whether you should get implants alone, a breast lift alone, or a combination of breast implants and lift alongside your tummy tuck will depend on what you would like to achieve.  Defining what your ideal result is will in part determine what will be needed in terms of procedures.  I do think its a god idea to get multiple consultations so you can compare recommendations.  If multiple consultations end up recommending a breast lift for the results that you desire than you can be more confident in the decision that you can take.I hope this helps.All the best,Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Combined procedures

Combined operations are often performed in the mommy makeover. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries noted above, including tummy tuck, liposuction, breast lift or reduction and more. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

Do you homework before scheduling a MM

By all means, consult with other PS before scheduling your MM.  Assuming you are healthy, most PS will agree to programming 2 procedures (breast and tummy), however the exact combination depends on your anatomy, aesthetic ideals and their experience.  The photo appears to show #ptosis (i.e.: that the greatest volume of your breasts lie below where the breast connects to the chest wall); this would suggest that some lift is necessary, in order to produce a round breast with the nippleareolar complex centered on the mound.  Choosing a larger implant to "pick up the slack" isn't a good long term position. 

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Can you get 2 procedures done at the same time ?

Thank you for your question and photo. If you are in good health, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to have both a tummy tuck and breast lift performed at the same time.  This is often called a "mommy makeover" and you are wise to take your time in selecting a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in breast and body contouring, as it is a big procedure and doing your homework ahead of time will pay off in the long run.  From your photo alone, it looks like you would benefit from a breast lift and not just a breast augmentation as a breast augmentation will not correct the breast sagging you have at this time.  I hope this is helpful.  Best of luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Combining procedures

It is very common to do a breast surgery at the same time as an abdominoplasty.  The term mommy makeover comes from putting a breast surgery, whether it is a breast augmentation, breast lift, or breast reduction, with an abdominal procedure, most commonly a tummy tuck or sometimes liposuction.  Depending on the particular person's body shape the two procedures combined take around 5-6 hours to complete.  It is hard to be sure based on a photo alone but it appears that you would benefit from a breast lift, but an in-person exam is needed.  It never hurts to have a second opinion.  Make sure you seek consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift Done at the Same Time?

These procedures are frequently done together for a mommy makeover. You would benefit from a breast lift, but it is always a good idea to get a second opinion and even a third until you are comfortable with the surgeon of your choice. Be sure to see Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD