Having a Partial Vaginoplasty, what is involved and how can I start?

I have just learned of a partial vaginoplasty. I am thinking this would be a wonderful answer for me now. I do not need to have a vagina, as i am almost 70 years old. The external appearance of a vagina would seem to be perfect for me. I wanted to find out more about this procedure. What is involved and how i can start. Thank you very much.

Doctor Answers 3

Partial Vaginoplasty vs Vaginectomy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello Bonnie,

Thank you for your post, but unfortunately there isn't enough information for me to answer accurately.

I will assume, however, that you are inquiring about a Partial Vaginectomy, otherwise known as a colpocleisis. This is a great procedure for Stage IV vaginal prolapse in women who are no longer sexually active. If this is the case you can start by looking for a Urogynecologist, of which there are several in Phoenix. You can also go to the link below and read the Urogynecology section.

Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Before you select the answer, you need to define your problem

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

What are you trying to improve? There are two classes of vaginal tightening operations: vaginoplasty and perineoplasty. A perineoplasty tightens the muscles of the perineum - the ones that usually get snipped with an episiotomy. A vaginoplasty starts with a perineoplasty and then goes deeper into the vagina to tighten the levator muscles (aka the kegel muscles or the PC muscles) which usually get stretched apart during a vaginal delivery. The term partial vaginoplasty is somebody's marketing slang. It is not an accepted name for either vaginoplasty or perineoplasty and it has no specific meaning. I would be wary of anyone marketing a partial anything without specifics. More importantly, I would recommend you seek out an expert in both vaginoplasty and pelvic reconstruction who can address your needs precisely and accurately. Partial vaginoplasty might indicate a vaginoplasty conducted by a partially trained and partially knowledgable surgeon. Beware.

Partial Vaginoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for sharing your situation and your question but I must be honest with you, the information you have supplied is lacking and not completely informative. However you have made few statements which leads me to believe you have heard of surgical procedure which cuts away the interior of the vagina and maintains the outside appearance and "I do not need to have a vagina".  This sounds as though you are not worried about sexual activity nor do you plan to have any sexual activity in the future.  If what you mean by vaginoplasty is  surgical reduction of the internal vaignal canal than most likely you are talking  about one of two surgical procedures:  1) Colpocliesis - for patients who don't have a uterus  or 2) a Leforte procedure for someone who has a uterus.   Both of the techniques will remove the skin of the vagina and dramatically reduce the length and caliber of the vagina. Now some doctors will do what is called an aggressive anterior and posterior repair where they also cut away more vagina than usual which will shorten the vagina.   Now the second part of the mystery is what is the diagnosis in other words why do you need the above surgeries?   I assume that you have vaginal and or uterine prolapse which is causing symptoms usually consisting of pelvic and vaginal pressure as well as a bulge at  the vaginal opening.  Of all the surgeries I do this surgery is one of the least painful and safest procedure to treat women with symptomatic prolapse.  Its usually one day in the hospital and home the next.  I used to have a section on my website dedicated to the Colpocleisis but have removed it.  

John R Miklos MD

Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

 I am going to make an assumption here that your diagnosis is you have an advanced form of vaginal prolapse.   

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.