Is it normal for my implants to look flat at first? Only day 2 (Photo)

Before I literally had a flat chest with Nipples... Just wondering if it's common for my implants to look so tight and flat because of this reason.... Will they change to normal???

Drop & Fluff

As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural – the way you hoped they’d be! Over the course of about three to four months, your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing. It allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.

Although it’s often called “dropping”, it is more like “redistribution”. The “fluffing” part refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.

All the best.

Patience is key

Hello and thank you for posting photos with your question! 2 days post op is VERY early!! So many changes will occur within the next 2-3 months. At first, there is a lot of swelling going on just from the trauma of an operation. The swelling is not only in the breast themselves but also in the surrounding tissue and because of the swelling in the surrounding tissue patients initially feel like they don't see much of a difference. Also, in the beginning the implant are going to be high and tight....As time goes on they will start to "drop" into the appropriate position. As they start to drop the breasts themselves will start to look bigger, rounder and more natural. This will also occur as the swelling goes down from the surrounding tissue. Just be patient and make sure to follow your plastic surgeons directions! Congrats on your new breasts!
Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Is it normal for my implants to look flat at first? Only day 2

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks to months as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down or implant exchange/revision. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Early Results of Breast Augmentation

You are experiencing a very common issue women have after augmentation, feeling that their breasts are too flat or too small. This caused by a combination of very tight tissues flattening the implants, and swelling around and in between the breasts. Be patient, and give it 3 months at least!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breasts flat after breast aug

Thank you for your question. You are in very early phase of healing. Your breasts continue to change in the coming several weeks. Please follow instructions from your PS

It does take some time for the muscle and the breast tissue and the skin to stretch and adapt and finally relax to accommodate the new implant volume.  This process can take a number of weeks and in some cases months.  Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Implant position

Thanks for your question. Your body will soon adapt and allow the implants to settle into a more natural position and look. I would guess that your implants are below your chest muscle, and so that is compressing them somewhat. The muscle will relax and accommodate as time goes on. You need 3-6 months to really see the outcome. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Really depends on your anatomy, surgical technique, and implant selection. As the swelling resolves, you will see the difference. 
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS