Is it normal to get holes like this after a TT? (Photo)

My PS told me to cover with gauze and change it twice a day. And that it will close. Just want a second opinion please.

Hole after TT

Thank you for your question!  Based on your photos, it appears that you have formed a small dehiscence (or separation) of the wound.  These can happen after a tummy tuck and they normally heal without issue if taken care of properly.  Just to be sure to follow your surgeons instructions and you will do just fine.  Take care!

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty

Unfortunately there is risk with every surgery and sometimes people take longer to heal and heal differently.  This are is the area with the least blood flow and most challenging to recover.  Be sure to stay hydrated, refrain from smoking, and take a mutivitamin w vit c and zinc to help wound healing. Your nutrtion (sufficient protein will also help you get back on track.  Patience is a virtue and you are almost there so hang in there! Best to you.

Delayed would healing

Hello Michiestoto-
Yes, small or larger areas of delayed wound healing can occur along incision lines due to multiple reasons. They should be treated with gauze packing changed 1-3x daily, which you are doing. They will heal up in slowly over time (usually 1-2months).
Good luck.

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Tummy Tuck-what to expect.

This certainly can happen. Every patient is different with body type and ability to heal. We all have patients that have small areas like this open up. It can be from a suture that has been there for a long time and can cause an irritating wound our simply wounds can open because the sutures are weak and break. As long as your surgeon is looking over your wound care you should be in good hands.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Tummy tuck healing

it is not unusual to have some areas of delayed healing after a tummy tuck, most commonly in the area immediately above the hair bearing area.  Follow your surgeon's advice and the area should heal without problems.  Occasionally the area may benefit from a scar revision if it is unacceptable after a suitable period of healing.

John J. Obi, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Recovery

Hi there, thanks for posting your photos. It seems as though you are on the right track to healing, and time is your best medicine. I suggest following your surgeon's instructions and keeping an eye on your incision. If anything changes or worsens, contact your surgeon for a follow up. Best to you. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Holes after TT?

Hello, it is not uncommon to have a few stitches come to the surface after a big operation like a tummy tuck, and these can create small wounds.  From a photo alone this can not be confirmed but it sounds like you have ongoing followup with your PS.  They will be able to ensure this heals normally.

Wound healing problems

Hi Michiesoto

You have wound healing complications.  It specifically looks like stitch abscesses.  What this means is that some of the dissolving sutures get inflamed before the dissolve and may get a bit infected.  Some of the fat dies, and the skin opens up.

Twice a day showers and dressing changes are very helpful, and if there is any residual suture material or foreign material, it should be removed to facilitate healing.  You doc will help.

Holes along TT incision

The holes are common but I prefer to treat with some antibiotic ointment to keep the area moist. I have found that this helps expidite the healing.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Is it normal to get holes like this after a TT?

Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon problem that we see with tummy tucks. The area of your concern is caused by tension and weak blood supply (which is why it takes so long to heal . . . weeks/months). However, This will heal if you follow your surgeon’s instructions and if necessary, you can always have a scar revision after you are healed.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon