Get a mommy makeover in a week.

I'm getting a mommy makeover in a week. I've quite smoking 2 weeks ago. I've gained 30lbs. Will that affect the outcome of my surgery?

Questions before surgery

I recommend a stable weight for at least 3-6 months prior to major cosmetic surgery. Weight gain and loss can change the way the skin and surrounding tissues respond and can therefore compromise the results you are hoping for. Also, I recommend at least 8 weeks of absolutely no nicotine in your system before surgery to help decrease complication risk.

Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

30 lbs in two weeks before a tt

I'm glad you asked this question. It may save you and your surgeon a lot of problems. It is hard to gain that much fat in two weeks. 2 lbs a day is impressive. What is the cause? Congestive heart failure, ascites from liver disease, or you ate compulsively?I had a patient who anatomically was perfect for a tummy tuck.  Slim and loose.  2 weeks later a tense bulging abdomen. It was liver failure!Push the reset button on this and get reevaluated. Something is very wrong. Congratulations on stopping smoking. Good luck. 

Mark Eberbach, MD

Weight Control and the Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity.

Mommymaker after 30lb weight gain and smoking, is it safe?

Hi Paulae,

Thanks for your question. I would certainly advise you have another consultation with your plastic surgeon to make sure that you both are on the same page. 30lbs weight gain in 2 weeks is a lot. Anything more than 10-15 lb, weight change will affect your result. It also depends if you are having liposuction. Nicotine decreases blood flow. I would re-evaluate the entire situation and make an informed decision with your plastic surgeon. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#mommymakeover #tobacco #weightgain

Getting a mommy makeover in a week...

I always have any patient that is having a breast lift, tummy tuck, or facelift quit smoking for at least 4 weeks prior and 2 weeks after the procedure as this greatly affects the possibility of skin loss.  If you have gained 30 lbs in 2 weeks, then yes this will also greatly affect the results.  I would highly recommend a discussion with your plastic surgeon and discuss these things before going under the knife.Good luck and be careful.

Shayne Webb, MD

Get a mommy makeover in a week

Thank you for your question. It is important to not be smoking prior to your surgery, so it is good to learn that you have been able to quit.  However, a 30 lb weight gain in two weeks is significant.  It will affect the outcome of your surgery.  It is always good to be as close to your ideal weight as possible, and at a stable weight prior to having a tummy tuck and breast augmentation.  Please discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon as soon as possible, as you may want to consider rescheduling your surgery until your weight is stable for optimal results.  Best of luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question. 30Lbs is a lot of weight  in 2 weeks , this will certainly affect your results.... but continuing to smoke can severely complicate your post op process. I would try to lose the extra weight before continuing with your procedure. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Get a mommy makeover in a week.

A 30 pound weight gain in 2 weeks? Yes, I think that is enough to affect your surgery results. But smoking is enough to ruin your surgery results. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Mommy makeover & weight gain

Thank you for your question.It is always best to be at your ideal weight prior to surgery. Your surgeon may want you to lose the weight before having surgery. I suggest contacting your surgeon to discuss your options. Best of luck.

Upcoming surgery

Your weight gain could affect your surgery.  You need to speak with your surgeon about the situation and reevaluate if the procedure should be postponed until after you have returned to your former weight.  It is always best to be as close to your ideal body weight prior to surgery for your safety and optimal results, so depending how much this weight gain has changed your BMI, it may be better to wait.  Staying away from all nicotine products is advisable for proper healing, so I would recommend that you remain off cigarettes.

Camille Cash, MD