How long should the swelling take to go down for liposuction in the flanks area?

I had liposuction in my flanks area on Monday, February 15th. The surgeon did remove a lot of fat. However, it feels like it's still swollen (even looks like it), and I wore compression for 3 months. I feel bigger than I did before I had the surgery. I had to buy pants a size bigger just to fit somewhat comfortably. My weight hasn't even changed, so I don't think it's weight gain.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Swelling due to liposuction can last for months. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy, hyperbaric oxygen and continued used of compression garments will drastically reduce swelling. I suggest consulting with your physician and discussing your concerns. Best, Dr. Emer

Post-op swelling

Thank you for your question.  Typically most of the swelling is down by 3 months, but it can persist for up to 6 months.  I would recommend a follow up with your surgeon to compare you photos before and current and discuss your concerns.Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Flank liposuction - still swollen after 6 months?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • This is very discouraging and worth a visit to your surgeon.
  • It can take longer for swelling to subside fully but by six months most people will see a result.
  • Ask to compare your before/after photos and discuss what might need to be done.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction #swelling, how long does it last?

Hi Danny,
Thanks for your question. Some photos would help with your assessment. Swelling differs based on the individuals. Sometimes if swelling is there after 6weeks to 3months it may be a fluid collection or extensive scarring. I would recommend following up with your plastic surgeon and discussing your concerns. Remember that liposuction or liposculpting is not a weight loss procedure but a body contouring procedure. I know you said your feel bigger but do you look bigger or more sculpted? I would advice on aggressive massage to help with scar tissue formation. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#liposuction #swelling