Do I need a lift and augmentation or just an augmentation? (Photo)

I am between a A and a C cup now and I want to be a high profile D or DD,I'm not sure, I want big but not too big. If going that big would I still need a lift too?

A Breast Lift Could Enhance Your Augmentation

The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.
Your Plastic Surgeon will measure you to determine the best shape and size of the #implants to be used. Shaped implants are all #textured and should not rotate when used properly. In my practice, about 20% of the patients benefit from #shaped implants.
It's important to know what size bra you currently wear. Is it a 32, 34, 36 bra, and, of course, the cup size? The strap size is important to know because that affects the diameter of the cup and subsequently the diameter of the #breast implant that we choose. It is also very helpful to know your height, your weight, and your dress size as well. All these can be considered when discussing your #options.

Do I need a lift and augmentation or just an augmentation?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

To lift or not to lift, that is the question

HI FionaRen,

Thanks for your question and photo. Some pictures with other angles would definitely help assess the need for a lift. Usually a lift is needed when the breast tissue is below your breast fold or inframammary fold. If you pass the pencil test, which is where your breast tissue touching your ribs can hold a pencil, then you have breast sagging and likely need a lift. Remember that an implant fills the breast tissue and does not necessarily lift the tissue. It can "lift" the nipple but it is usually an optical illusion as the majority of the implant will sit lower. I would recommend an implant with donut possibly short scar breast lift.  I recommend an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS,
@breastaugmentation @breastlift @docmata #drcarlosmata

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo, it does appear that you would benefit from a lift in addition to implants.  The lift would help to improve your nipple position, raise the breasts, reduce the areola, improve symmetry and make the breasts more perky.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast implant size with lift

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below:

Hello! Thank you for your question! The mastopexy procedure raises the breast, which ultimately provides a more youthful and perky breasts. This is done by removing the extra loose skin and rearranging the surrounding breast tissue in order to reshape and support the newly formed breast. At the same time, the nipple-areolar complex (NAC) is raised to the ideal position above the fold beneath your breast (the inframammary fold) as well as being placed at the most projecting portion. Oftentimes with age or following pregnancy, the NAC becomes widened and enlarged. This may be reduced in size during the breast lift procedure.

It is common for the breast to lose its firmness and uplifted appearance over time, which is also accentuated with age, pregnancy/breast feeding, weight gain/loss, and gravity. This results in breast ptosis, or sagging of the breast, with a “deflated” appearance. Women seek the mastopexy procedure to regain the previous youthful appearance of her breasts and women report increased confidence, self-esteem, and femininity once achieving this desired shape and fullness. Breast lifts may or may not be performed with implants – the implant would add increased size but also greater fullness in the upper pole of the breasts which creates more cleavage. Given your appearance as well as desire for larger breasts, consideration for breast augmentation with implants in addition to a breast lift to reshape your breasts would be an option that should meet your goals. Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Lift and augmentation or just an augmentation?

Hi FionaRen,

Thanks for you questions.  After reviewing your photo, you have Grade II-III ptosis (high grade) with significant breast tissue volume loss.  In my opinion this cannot be corrected with an augmentation alone to obtain anything resembling a natural outcome.  Even the largest implant would require a lift in order to center the nipple/areola on the breast mound for a good cosmetic outcome.

I would recommend that you schedule several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area to discuss your options.  Use the expertise available on this site as well as reviewing websites and before and after photos to find surgeons with breast lift/augmentation experience that you would like to consult with.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a lift?

From the single photo I would say yes but this is no substitute for an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

There are additional benefits to the lift besides raising the nipple position to a more youthful level. You can also decrease the diameter of the areola and achieve better symmetry between the breasts which is not possible with an augmentation alone.

Seek out a Board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and help with this important decision.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation vs. augmentation lift

It's difficult to tell from the photos you posted. In general your question would best be answered by an in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon who could evaluate you, assess your goals, review pictures with you of women similar to you with and without a lift. An augmentation does no lifting but at times may give the illusion of lift. After consultation, I'm sure it will be easier to know which way to go. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck and I hope this information helps.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

To lift or not to lift

Based on your photo alone, I would definitely recommend a lift. The type of lift would depend on the look you desire. An implant alone will not place your nipple/areola in the proper or desired location no matter what size implant you chose. In my practice, patients will try on implants and chose their size. Depending on the size you chose, I may recommend any where from a periareolar, vertical or traditional mastopexy(breast lift). So as you can see, there are many variables to this type of procedure. Do your research and consult with several Board Certified Plastic Surgeons prior to making this important decision. 

Clayton L. Moliver, MD