What should I know about internal reconnection/stitches when doing a re-aug? What is the possibility of a hematoma?

I am getting a re-augmentation next week. Going from 300 M+ implants to 400HP. My doctor suggested internal reconstruction since my implants have stretched the pocked laterally. My question is how likely is it to get a hematoma, what can i do to prevent it, and will this be painful post-op? What should i know about internal reconnection/stitches? I'm pretty active, workout 4-5 days/week, i'm 5'5' 125-128lbs.

When using internal sutures to diminish the pocket size

my patients are told they cannot exercise for 6-8 weeks and that they must use a cut out underwire bra 24/7 (yes, including showers) to help support the suture line to allow it to heal and minimize the chances for relapse and tearing of the suture line.  And if the sutures entrap a nerve, it can be painful for more than normal.  Risks for hematoma should not be affected.  Best wishes!

Internal Sutures Risks

Hello Smilingface002m hope all is well, thank you for the questions. It is always helpful if you discuss your concerns with your surgeon and keep a close contact with him/her, communicating your concerns with your surgeon will be helpful to you as they are the best person to address your questions and concerns since they know how the procedure will be done and have an understanding of your exam chart. Fortunately, the incidence of bleeding/hematoma is very small. What you can do to prevent this is to minimize strenuous activity post op and slowly ease back into your active lifestyle. Your plastic surgeon will be your best guide when it comes to gradually returning to your "active" lifestyle so please ask them, and keep a close communication with them.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

This is a common procedure and yes a hematoma is always possible and yes it hurts. But you need to get these questions answered to your satisfaction by your surgeon. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for the question.  Fortunately, the incidence of bleeding/hematoma is quite small.  From your standpoint what you can do to prevent this is to minimize strenuous activity (anything that elevates blood pressure post operatively). Your plastic surgeon will be your best guide when it comes to gradually returning to your "active" lifestyle.

Generally, the lateral breast implant displacement can be corrected using an internal suture technique, decreasing the size of the pockets and moving the implants toward the midline. In my practice, I use a 2 layered suture technique to close off the space laterally (towards the axilla). The use of acellular dermal matrix is an option ( although not usually necessary) especially if significant implant rippling/palpability is present.
I hope this, and the attached link, (dedicated to capsulorrhaphy concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Internal sutures

There's nothing you can really do to prevent a hematoma other than staying off blood thinners for a few weeks before surgery. this procedure, called a capsulorraphy, is not one that's prone to bleeding since the sutures are placed in the capsule itself. As far as activity, I can only tell you what I would tell my patients. It makes sense to me, to take the tension off of the repair so that the breast implants are not pushing on it and weakening it. Therefore, while this suture line is healing, it seems prudent to me to push the implant away from the side by either taping it from the side or wearing a push-up bra. All plastic surgeons are to have different thoughts so I would recommend you talk to yours about their recommendations. Same with exercise your plastic surgeon will be your best resource. Good luck on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Internal sutures for implant pocket adjustment low risk

It sounds like you are having a procedure called capsulorrhaphy, in which sutures are placed into the scar capsule to reshape it and hold the implant in the right position. This is usually a low risk procedure. Some discomfort is to be expected, and your surgeon will give you guidance on the appropriate level of activity during healing. Consider Exparel for pain reduction.

Richard Baxter, MD