Why is my incision upside down and stitched to my legs? (Photos)

I added pre-op pics as requested... had a TT and lipo on 6/20/16. I was hospitalized on 6/22/16 for 4 days and had a blood transfusion. I seem to look deformed. I understand it takes 3-6 months to heal or more, but I have a scar stitched down my leg on one side and attached to my leg on the other side. dr had ignored my concerns other than saying he will fix it in 6 months but he has since died. . How can this happen and why would I be stitched to my legs?

TUMMY TUCK INCISION

Your photos show that the incision used for your tummy tuck it is not correct one. Maybe your surgeon was not a board certified plastic surgeon, and he did not have the training to perform a tummy tuck with aesthetic results and to obtain a pleasant and nice result. Now you need to wait for the scar and tissues to get soft and get a revision to correct the incisions and the contour of your abdomen.

Upside down incision

Hello and thank you for your question. You have every right to be concerned. 4 days in hospital is long following a tummy tuck but can happen if you have complications, which you did. Bleeding requiring a transfusion. Obviously this was taken care of. Now however you will need to see a board certified ps with a lot of experience taking care of botched tummy tucks. This is not an emergency. I believe that whoever takes care of you, will have to overt tge tummy tuck into  a circumferential or at minimum an extended tummy tuck. Good luck. Sincerely. Peter Fisher M.D

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

my incision upside down and stitched to my legs? (Photos)

Thank you for your question and photos. I am so sorry for your experience. This is unusual to have that much blew if from a TT procedure requiring a transfusion. However, the good thing is that you had it an you recovered. This is not the normal scar for TT in my practice. I am not sure if you had a discussion with your surgeon for keeping it low. You will need to seek a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this so he or she can help to improve your results. Good luck.

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Concern?

Thank you for your question and photos. I'm sorry to hear of your post-operative problems. You post-operative bleeding and orientation of your incision are very concerning to me. I suggest seeking guidance from a board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps! 

Tummy tuck - why is my incision on my leg?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • I am concerned not only about your incison but about your post-operative bleeding.
  • A 4 days hospitalization after a tummy tuck is unusual.
  • The incision is unusual - and suggests you may not be under the care of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
  • Please check your surgeon's credentials and even if s/he is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, please get an opinion from a new Board Certified Plastic Surgeon without delay.
  • You may need additional treatment now to correct this.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy Tuck Revision

Good morning! Thank you for your question and photos. I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time post operatively. I agree with your concerns and I think at this point you need to get in with a new plastic surgeon as soon as possible before this continues to heal, (or not heal) anymore. It is extremely important that you make your appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon and make sure they know the urgency of your case. Best of luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Needs a revision

From the photographs I can understand your concern. The problem as I see it, is that from the drawing of the initial incision, this procedure was doomed to not have a great result. In my experience, these incisions as it goes away from your hairline need to be  angled into the fold that you see in the side view. At this point in time, the only way to fix this, would be to start from that point where the incision should go angling upward and take out a very large ellipse of skin centered in the right direction. I would recommend that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in cosmetic surgery for this revision. Hope this is helpful.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS