When implanted is there a noticeable difference in softness between Sientra anatomical & smooth round silicone implants? (Photo)

I'm 5'5, 120 lbs, have a 12.5 bwd, and currently wear 32A. My potential plastic surgeon suggested a 350 cc Sientra anatomical implant to achieve the "full C" look I hope for. The compared to the smooth round implant the anatomical implant feels a bit firmer and has less movement. When implanted is there a noticeable difference in movement(jiggle) and softness in the breast of women who have anatomical vs smooth round? I don't have much breast tissue to cover the implant so softness is a concern.

When implanted is there a noticeable difference in softness between Sientra anatomical & smooth round silicone implants?

Thank you for the question. These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).
Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Sientra breast implants

• Hello, and thank you for your question. In many patients there may be a difference in the feel of the breasts. This depends on your native breast tissue and where the implants are placed. There are both advantages and disadvantages of using a shaped implant. Depending upon your surgeon you may get different opinions regarding this. I would recommend that you find a qualified board certified plastic surgeon in your area with expertise on breast procedures. Best of luck.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Sientra breast implants.

My response to your question is yes, they do feel a bit firmer than round silicone implants.  However, in the certain patient that would benefit from the shaped implant, it is a good trade-off.  For a very small-breasted woman, this implant does not give excessive upper fullness which would occur with round implants.  It does provide a more natural contour, again, mainly in women with very small breasts. 

The reason they are firmer is because of the shape.  It does take a bit more firm silicone gel to maintain the tear-drop shape.

I have been using this implant for almost two years.  Not one of my patients has commented on their breast feeling too firm.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Gel Feel - Whats the difference

The Sientra Gel implant line are all filled with what is called HSC or high strength cohesive gel.  Their gel is manufactured from a different source and by a different manufacturer than the other two Implant companies.  The shaped or anatomic implants are filled with HSC II or slightly more cohesive or firm gel, so you are correct, it is firmer.  Having said that, I believe that the Sientra line has the best overall combination of shape and softness whether it is the round or shaped devices. 

You have a limited amount of soft tissue, and a shorter distance from your nipple to your fold (especially on your right side).  Obviously it requires a complete consultation to make a recommendation, but to get a full natural look, I too prefer the anatomic implants.  It takes about 6-8 weeks until they soften, but then they really feel great.  I think the result is a youthful, beautiful breast that is appropriately soft.  I prefer the texturing anyway because the data has become clear that capsular contracture is less over time.  I also think they have a better chance to stay in a good position over the many years you should have them.  Smooth implants can move down and out over time in some patients.  
Best of luck in your research

Dr. Schwartz

Michael R. Schwartz, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon