Could the breast implant have gotten infected from this incision wound? (photo)

I'm a little more than 2 weeks postop breast augmentation. I have submuscular mentor shaped implants. Sutures dissolvable. 2 days ago it appears my incision area split a bit. Dr prescribed antibiotics and ointment. But should I be concerned about how much drainage I have? How is it going to heal with so much drainage? Had a fever night before drainage started (2 nights ago) but none since. Haven't seen Dr in person yet...my appt is next week.

Could the breast implant have gotten infected from this incision wound?

Thank you for your question.  The yellowish area beneath the incision may indicate damaged or dead tissue.  This can be properly treated with wound care if the dead tissue does not go too deep.  However you need close observation an proper wound care to allow this area to heal.  If you have the sudden release of significant clear liquid it may indicate that the implant is becoming exposed or extruding.  If this occurs the implant will need to be removed.  Please do not wait to see your plastic surgeon but insisted on being seen in person now.

Post of evaluation

Breast implant infections are rare but can occur. Redness and/or poor wound healing doesn't necessarily mean that the implants are infected. But it also doesn't mean that there is nothing else wrong. Go see your surgeon today, if possible. If not today, then see he/she or his/her staff who can relay the findings to the surgeon. There is no reason to wait until the scheduled post operative appointment. 

I suggest you see your surgeon as soon as possible.  An infection is nothing to ignore.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD