I had Septopasty, will that matter if I decide to get a nose job? Also can my dorsal hump get bigger? (photos)

I'm 19 and had my surgery 2 1/2 yrs ago. How severe is my dorsal hump? Thanks

The septoplasty shouldn't matter. See the morph for a proposed rhinoplasty result.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

I lowered the dorsal hump, and elevated the tip a tiny amount, and brought the entire nose back a little closer to your face. When a bump is removed, the tip of the nose tends to look longer, like it's drooping, and more projecting, like it's sticking out farther forward away from the face. So it's important to elevate the tip and bring it back at the same time as taking down a hump like yours.

The fact that you had a septoplasty shouldn't change what's possible with the rhinoplasty at all.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

And you didn't say just what your aunt said, but you've go great features, and you're very pretty, with our without the rhinoplasty!

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I consider a rhinoplasty after relative's insensitive remarks?

Thanks for your post and sharing your feelings about your nose. You are pretty and having a small dorsal hump on your nose most certainly does not detract from your lovely features. I am sorry that your aunt's insensitive remarks about your nose left some doubt in your mind about your overall attractiveness. Beauty is from within and self confidence is derived from you inner strength and self esteem. Should you personally wish to consider making some rhinoplasty changes in the future that's fine too. Prior septoplasty, in general, should not be a contraindication to considering rhinoplasty. Best wishes

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear coracorona, Having septoplasty in the past is not a contraindication for having a rhinoplasty later. Generally these procedures are performed at the same time as a septorhinoplasty addressing both aesthetics and function with one recovery. At your age and being a female your dorsal hump should not grow any further and what you see know will be your nasal aesthetic. If the dorsal hump concerns you then you would be a candidate for rhinoplasty surgery to slightly refine the hump. Make sure you seek an expert surgeon who provides very natural looking rhinoplasty results. During consultation you can have imaging performed which will show you the proposed changes to your nose and then you can decide if that is your desired nose. See examples of natural rhinoplasty results in the link below and an example of imaging in the video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD