Gained 50lbs during pregnancy 3 years ago. Lost 40lbs and now I have jowls. What are my options? I'm almost 33 (Photos)

I gained 50 lbs during pregnancy 3 years ago. I've lost 40 and now I have jowls. What are my options ? I'll be 33. Do I just need to lose more weight, are these jowls?

Correction of jowls and early aging?

I would suggest a mini or full facelift to carefully liposuction a small amount of fat under direct vision so no irregularities are created. At the same time the excess skin can be removed without the "pulled look". A small pre jowl implant can be used to fill the prejowl depressions.  See a very experienced facelift surgeon. 

Mini lift versus pre-jowl implant

Afull set of pictures and in personal examination are required due to the extensive nature of the massive weight loss. If the skin is very inelastic in the face due to the weight loss, a mini facelift may be in order. The photographs also demonstrate a prominent pre-jowl sulcus, for which a pre-jowl implant can improve.  In our practice, we have been using Implantech chin implants and pre-jowl implants for the last 25 years with an excellent success rate. For more information, diagrams of the implants and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Correction of jowls

Since jowls are your only concern your should consider conservative liposuction of jowls with a small cannula. This is a minimal procedure and in experienced hands will create all improvement you need. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Facelift with SMAS, Z lift

If you are not planning on more children, you might consider a facelift to give you a long lasting fix of your jowls. See a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon. A jowl lift can be done through a limited incision and a SMAS elevation of the fascia can be done through this same limited incision. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Gained 50lbs during pregnancy 3 years ago. Lost 40lbs and now I have jowls. What are my options?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties that developed "jowls".  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.