I feel like my breasts are too small. I asked for a full C /small D. Will they expand over time ? (photo)

I got my implants placed under the muscle. I'm only 4 days post op so maybe I'm over thinking but these seem to be smaller than I asked and I'm afraid they will shrink even more after the swelling goes down

4 days post op

Thank you for the question and photo. Shortly after surgery your implants are under pressure and volume can be displaced up and outward somewhat. The majority of swelling is gone by two weeks post op and then the breast shape will continue to change as tissues soften and expand. I recommend that you wait until at least 3-4 months before evaluating your size.

All the best

I feel like my breasts are too small. I asked for a full C /small D. Will they expand over time ?

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks to months as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. The implants themselves will not "expand".  If still displaced or unhappy with size/shape after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down or implant exchange/revision. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

I feel like my breasts are too small. I asked for a full C/ small D. Will they expand over time?

Thank you for your question. At 4 days your breasts are swollen and tight. Over time your breasts will soften and drop. Allow for 3 months before you are measured and evaluate results. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Too Early

Your implants are pretty big, with little room on your chest wall.  You are only 4 days out. Your breasts will drop and fluff over the next 3 to 6 months and appear much bigger. Be patient.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

The implants will not expand over time. Your swelling will go down and the implant will drop as the tissues soften. This will give your breasts a more natural/soft appearance.

Breasts Too Small?

Thank you very much for your question.

You are still very swollen, and that's hiding the true shape and size of your breasts.  As your swelling goes down, especially over your sternum (cleavage area), you will see how big your breasts really are.  You have a great shape 4 days out from surgery.  Hang in there!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

No they will not expand over time.  The pocket typically get smaller as the swelling gets less. In the meantime, I would suggest that you actually look great.  Your implants will fill your soft tissue nicely and should be well proportional to the rest of your body.  I think that you will be happy with this as the healing progresses.  Enjoy your transformation. Hope this helps you.
Dr Vasisht
South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  You have a nice result 4 days out from surgery.  Over the next few months, the implants typically drop into their final position and the swelling subsides.  Therefore, it's still too early to make a final judgement on your result.  Wait at least 3-6 months before getting a better idea.  Throughout this process, be sure to express your concerns to your surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and photograph, and it appears that you will have a very nice result. After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest. Though they will not get bigger, the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance, and filling your bra cup more. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

The final size/shape of your breast augmentation will take time

Thank you for including a photo along with your question. Your concerns are legitimate especially since the implant was placed underneath the muscle. Due to the tightness of the pectoral muscle, the implant will "pancake" and will appear compressed on your chest. As the muscle relaxes, the implant will "drop" and not appear as "high riding". Furthermore, as the skin of the lower pole relaxes, the implant will "unfurl" along the lower half. This, together with the swelling going down, will make your breasts appear larger with more projection even though the volume did not change. This process can occur over few months depending on you, your implant, and how your surgery was performed. It does take time for your breasts to achieve their final endpoint but you should certainly share any of your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Alexander Ereso, MD
Mountain View Physician