Can I fly 2 days after liposuction from San Diego to Berlin?

The flight is booked the Dr. said it was okay but with everything that I'm reading I am a little worried?

Flying after surgery

HI MyAg888,,

Thanks for your question. It is not the flying that is a risk, it is the lack of not being able to move. Liposuction carries a risk of clots either from blood or fat. They are called DVT's and possibly fat emboli. I am not a fan of patients flying so soon after surgery but it certainly can be done as long as your getting up and walking every hour or so and not sitting the whole time. You will likely be leaking some fluid from your incisions unless your doctor closes the incision sites which will likely make your swelling last longer. But again check with your surgeon. Remember that it is elective and can be done at anytime! Good luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS,
@liposuctio @flying  @docmata #drcarlosmata

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Post Liposuction and Flying

Post operative protocol will vary based physician. I prefer for my patients to stay local 10-14 days post liposuction for a follow up appointment at 24 hours and 5-7 days post-procedure. I also have my patients start Venus Legacy treatments, massage and hyperbaric oxygen. Flying poses a risk for blood clots, and should be avoided directly after liposuction. Please discuss your concerns with your physician. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction - safe to travel in 2 days trans-atlantic?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I am surprised your doctor said it was ok unless you are having a small area done under local anesthesia.
  • You will be sore from liposuction but the problem is not soreness but immobility during a long flight.
  • These flights - without surgery - cause some people to form blood clots.
  • A short flight is one thing - yours will be closer to 12, I believe.
  • If you are flying first class - you have more room, easier to move, less risk.
  • If you are flying coach - I wouldn't do it myself and I wouldn't recommend it to a patient until at least a week after surgery, with full mobility and knee high compression stockings and getting up to walk every 2 hours. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Flying after liposuction

It may depend on the extent of your procedure, so please check with your surgeon.  When I do liposuction under local anesthesia, I am ok with pts flying 2 days later as long as they stand up and walk every hour.  The goal is to get the blood moving in your legs as stagnation could predispose you to a blood clot.

Lawrence Osman, MD

That is not a risk I personally would be comfortable with. The surgery is elective and can be done anytime. You need to reschedule it. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD