Would fillers or surgery help remove my under eye bags? (photos)

Undereye bags are genetic in my family and is starting to become more apparent as I get older. I don't know if filling the tear trough area with fillers would correct it or If removing the fat pad with surgery would correct it? There is a gap between my upper cheek and under eye that is causing the pouch to bulge out. What would be the best solution?

Fillers

I would start by treating the area with a HA filler such as Restylane. I think it would improve your problem areas with long lasting results (6-9 months or longer). Regardless, it's a good place to start as it's less invasive than surgery. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Fillers

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

I use a combination of lasers, fillers and skin care with microneedling/PRP to improve this area.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lower lid TC bleph

From these photos, it looks like you would get a homerun result with an lower lid TC blepharoplasty. This procedure would make you look more rested and open up your eye. In my experience the most important thing in assuring a quick recovery from blepharoplasty is minimizing bruising and swelling. Bruising is much easier to prevent that to get rid of. I have all my patients ice as much as possible from the time they get home until they go to sleep that first night. And I instruct them to not recline any more than 45 degrees until they go to sleep that night. And stay away from salt. Patients who follow these instructions generally heal very quickly with little or minimal bruising or swelling. See a board certified surgeon in your area with an expertise in aesthetic surgery for more information. Good luck with your procedure!

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #blepharoplasty

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Under Eye Bags

Thank You for your question. There are several options for you to choose from. Surgically, would be a Blepharoplasty. Non Surgically would be fillers, ie. Restylane or Juvederm Voluma. I would recommend you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine which treatment would best fit your needs. I hope this helps and good luck to you.

Camille Cash, MD

Bags Under the Eyes

Thank you for sharing your case and photos.  Fillers won't necessarily "remove" the bags, but will help to camouflage them to create a smooth contour from your eyelids down to your cheeks.  Good options include Belotero or Restylane Silk.  Consider a consultation with a surgeon who has experience in treating this area of the face with filler injections.  Good luck! 

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye bag treatment

You would be a great candidate for a small amount of filler in the tear trough area. It would really smooth out your eyelid and cheek Junction. I think it would be just the answer for you.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery vs filler

Your pictures suggest that filler would be a quick, effective treatment for your undereye bags.  Avoid lower eyelid surgery unless it's absolutely necessary.

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Filler or surgery

Fillers work well to improve this area non-surgically.  There might surgical options if you are looking for a more permanent solution but this would require an in person consultation.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers or surgery for small eyebags?

Thank you for posting your photo of the under eye area. There is the a question of age, severity of the eyebags and avoiding complications. Tear trough hollowing can make the small fatty eyebag look more prominent, and in those patients, filler with Restylane and Lidocaine for instance, given by cannula from a remote single port entry site on each side, can disguise little fatty eyebags, however, is not permanent. For lower eyelid fat blepharoplasty to be done, usually the eyeballs have to look a little worse that yours do. Ask an oculoplastic surgeon who does both lower eyelid dark circle filler and blepharoplasty to assess you and advise.

Jane Olver, MBBS, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon