Extended Tummy Tuck or a Fleur De Lis? (Photo)

What's the best way to go if you aren't concerned as much with scarring as a good result? What is the average cost for both in Phoenix?

Tummy Tuck - Weight loss first?

Thank you for your question and photos. I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. If this is not possible, your BMI should be below 30 to minimize your risk of complications. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. You appear to be a candidate for an extended tummy tuck. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Extended Tummy Tuck or a Fleur De Lis?

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Based on your photograph and description, I would likely recommend a extended tummy tuck operation once you achieve your long-term stable weight, if you are not there already.
Generally speaking, always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. 

Also generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and (again) has reached a long-term stable weight.

The "extended" tummy tuck surgery refers to an extension of the abdominoplasty incision to the flanks/lower back area; this operation is helpful when patients wish to improve the appearance of the sides (flanks)/lower back areas. In other words, the operation extends from the anterior abdominal wall to the flanks and back areas, often involving additional skin/tissue excision and liposuction surgery.

In my practice, I recommend the extended tummy tuck to patients who have significant "excess" of adipose tissue and/or skin of the flank and back areas, where liposuction surgery alone will not suffice. Patients who have lost skin elasticity in these areas, have a significant amount of diet/exercise adipose issue in these areas, and/or who wish to wear low riding jeans after surgery (and do not want to have a "muffin top" when they bend sideways) are potentially good candidates for the extended tummy tuck operation.
When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved.
In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon.  I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.  Best wishes.

You need to loose weight before considering any surgery

You will not have good outcome from any surgery till you loose significant weight. Any surgery at this time will give you a very high risk of complications and poor outcome.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Extended Tummy Tuck or a Fleur De Lis?

I would recommend you follow a healthy diet and exercise regimen until you reach your desired goal weight. This weight should be one where you are comfortable at, and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will affect your long-term results.  Any weight loss before surgery will not only be in your best interest from a safety point of view, but also in obtaining the best cosmetic results.  

Thank you for the photos and question and from them without an examination it would appear you would benefit from further weight loss before an extended abdomnioplasty not Fleur De Lis

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Extended Tummy Tuck or a Fleur De Lis?

Neither yet, there is still too much fat in the abdomen to get a good result. The two procedures are totally different and used for different results and can, in fact, be combined. Get to your goal weight ( a BMI lower than 30) and then see what needs to be done to achieve a look you like. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Weight loss before tummy tuck

Based on these images I would recommend losing weight before having any type of tummy tuck. Once you have lost some weight you will be a better surgical candidate. How much weight to lose depends on your goal weight and the advice of an experienced plastic surgeon once you have an exam in person. The Fleur-de-lis is great if you end up having loose skin of your upper abdominal area, in addition to loose skin of the lower abdomen.

William Bruno, MD

Lose weight

Losing weight before surgery should be a ver appropriate decision in your case.   I think after doing that you're a good candidate for the extended TT.   Have a great day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Best result ever!

Based on your photos your abdomen is very protruding as the result of a very significant amount of internal fat, which means inside the abdominal cavity among organs, and that can ONLY be reduced or removed by losing weight. Not even the Tummy Tuck will improve a protruding abdomen. Protruding abdomen is not a matter of extra skin, so a Fleur de Lis is not the procedure to address this issue. 
You will be a great candidate, in order to have the best result ever, an Extended Tummy Tuck, a nice and tight muscle repair to help your abdomen to look flatter and smaller waist (impossible to do if the volume inside abdominal cavity is protruding), and maybe a some liposuction to lovehandles.
Be encouraged.
Dr. Cardenas