What's "dropping and fluffing" mean with a BA? Right side hurts more than left. (photos)
Botox Price Calculator
What would you like to change?
Enter your info to request custom estimates from three local providers.
These providers will send a more accurate price based on your needs.
Doctor Answers 5
What's "dropping and fluffing" mean with a breast augmentation?
Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases. Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.
There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image) adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast augmentation surgery. Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" during this process.
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.
What's "dropping and fluffing" mean with a BA? Right side hurts more than left.
When do breast Implants Drop and Fluff?
Hi MelissaB,Thanks for your question and photos. Dropping and fluffing happens at different times depending on how the muscle was released from you chest wall. Your right muscle still appears tight. I would wear a bra strap but check with your plastic surgeon. As long as the implant drops when the muscle relaxes you will be fine but if the muscle relaxes and the implant is high then it might end up settling a higher on one side and not the other. Ask your plastic surgeon for advice as an in person examination will help!
All the best,
Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
You might also like...
Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision
Breast augmentation - what is dropping and fluffing?
- Here's what's going on -
- Your implants are under the muscle. The muscle goes into spasm after surgery.
- As the muscle relaxes after surgery, the implants move down on the chest and settle in place in the breast.
- This process is called dropping (the implant moves down) and fluffing (the breast fills out.)
- One implant always settles faster than the other - one side always hurts a bit more.
- Ideally both implants should settle in 6 weeks but at times, it takes 3-6 months.
- If they don't settle, then a revision is needed.
- I ask my patients to go braless if their implants don't quickly settle.
- You can ask your surgeon if you should try this -but don't do anything s/he doesn't recommend.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.