Is it okay to continue deep breathing exercises although I feel pressure? I got a BA yesterday. Thanks!

Hi everyone! I got a breast aug yesterday 9/2/16 - 295cc mm+ in the right and 290lm in the left memory shape implants under the muscle w/ crease incision. My right breast is smaller and I feel most of the pressure coming from there. I got exparel and have been taking percosets to help with this. Regardless, should I continue the deep breathing exercises for 10 minutes each hour as directed by my surgeon? This is my first BA and I'm unsure what is normal and not normal . Thanks!!

Is it okay to continue deep breathing exercises.

Keep in mind, that it is always best to address any significant "pressure" or difficulty breathing directly with your plastic surgeon. Having said that, I would advise that you continue your deep breathing exercises despite sensations such as pressure/pain.  These exercise help prevent a process called atelectasis, that may progress to pneumonia.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

When recovering from surgery

its always best to follow your surgeon's recommendations and directions.  Any problems that arise from doing what you were told is 'not your fault' and your surgeon would manage it under whatever policy is in place.  Following other surgeon's advice would in my opinion, invalidate your 'warranty' and make your recovery more difficult should problems arise because of that.

Curtis Wong, MD

Deep breathing

You should continue with your deep breathing exercises and activity as directed by your surgeon. Even with exparel it is totally normal to have some pain and discomfort after your breast augmentation.

Pain after Breast Augmentation - First Day

It is totally normal to have pain the first day after your Breast Augmentation - especially if it similar on both sides.
Do all the exercises and breathing your surgeon asked you to do.

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon