Is it ok to choose the Lap-band over the Gastric Sleeve?

I have been considering weight loss surgery for awhile, but recently I have come into a position where I will be able to have the extra income to afford the surgery. I planned to get the lap band as it has a relatively decent recovery time, and I have met people who had it for years with great success. however, my boyfriend's mom said to look at the gastric sleeve. My issue with this surgery is the it seems to not only cost more, but has a longer recovery time and is quite a bit more evasive.

Both work well if you have good follow up

They are both good operations. The band, however, works well if  you have good follow up with your surgeon and they do your care. There is a cost to adjusting the band, but often that is minimal, so find out what that is and how much is included. The sleeve is less to maintain, but higher risk initially. If the sleeve enlarges then the only option is a redo surgery, if the band has issues it can be adjusted -- fluid taken out- to start over.

Scottsdale Bariatric Surgeon

Sleeve vs. LapBAND

I have to disagree with Dr. Simpson here.  LapBAND is a troublesome operation.  Weight loss is much less than with sleeve or bypass.  Failure rate is high.  Re-operation rate is very high.  If you get a LapBAND, it is highly likely that this will be the first of several operations; Lapband placement, repair of slipped Lapband, repair of leaking tubing, and finally, removal of Lapband and conversion to something else.

Shop around for prices; sleeve gastrectomy is cheaper at our hospital (about $11,000); when you consider the ongoing costs of the Band, with all the adjustments at $150-$250 each, gastric banding can be quite an expensive project.

All bariatric procedures are done with minimally invasive techniques.  The incisions are tiny, and you go home after both sleeve and Lapband within a day of the operation.  Most patients are back to normal activities in 1-2 weeks.

I think your boyfriend's mom is giving you good advice.

Mark Pleatman, MD
Bloomfield Hills Bariatric Surgeon

Sleeve vs band

I definitely agree with Dr. Pleatman.  The sleeve is a superior operation compared to the band.  You will lose more weight, and faster.  Depending on your BMI you may achieve the desire weight loss within 8 months to a year with the gastric sleeve.  With the band weight loss may take three to five years assuming there is any weight loss at all.  You will be much happier with the sleeve.  Also, sleeve patients recover fairly quickly.  Most of my patients return to work in one to two weeks after the sleeve.

Wiljon W. Beltre, MD
Altamonte Springs Bariatric Surgeon