If i get a breast lift will i still be able to feel my nipples.?

If i get a lift and no implants, will my nipples still be sensitive? Also if i have one inverted nipple can you just make it come out? Lol Or would i have to do something a bit more drastic?

Nipple Sensitivity after Breast Lift

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible. Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during you consultation. Good luck!

Will I loose nipple sensation?

Thanks so much for your question. You should not loose sensation with a breast lift. It is a possible complication, but it's a low risk. In terms of the inverted nipple, it's a simple matter to fix that at the same time.  Hope this helps. 

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

If i get a breast lift will i still be able to feel my nipples?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast procedures such as the breast lift and breast reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts along with raising of the nipple-areolar complex to an appropriate position. Since there is an incision made around the areola along with some rearrangement of tissue of the breast, there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7%. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk.

It is one risk of such a procedure, and one that you must consider, amongst others, as with any surgical procedure. Nipple inversion may easily be corrected at the same time. First, an examination would be needed to ensure that there is nothing suspicious tethering the nipple. If benign nipple inversion is noted, a corrective procedure to ameliorate the inversion could be done.  You should consult with a plastic surgeon well-trained in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various risks and benefits of the procedure(s) and assist you in deciding if such a procedure will be the right decision for you.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Nipple Sensitivity

You are likely going to have some changes to nipple sensitivity immediately after a breast lift, however most women regain their sensibility in a few weeks to months. There is a certain percentage of women who may have permanent changes or even loss of sensibility to one or both nipples, perhaps as high as 20%. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Nipple sensitivity

You should be able to maintain your nipple sensitivity with a breast lift but there is a slight chance sensitivity will e altered when you add a nipple inversion procedure to your treatment plan.  Consult a BCPS for your care.

DrBurnett#realself100

Carlos Burnett, MD, FACS
Westfield Plastic Surgeon

Breasts and nipples

Very good questions.  Sensation to the nipples may be altered for several months after breast surgery.  Rarely are these changes permanent.  Nipple inversion can easily be corrected but it will prevent you from breast feeding out of that nipple.  Hope that helps!

Tim Neavin, MD

Nipples sensation, inversion, and lift

Thank you for asking. Breast lifts are designed to preserve nipple sensation and most patients do not experience any issues. A few patients have a transient sensation change that does return to normal. Only rare cases have permanent change.

For inverted nipples there are different options depending on the grading of the inversion. The procedures here may have a more sensation change depending on what a nipple needs. See a board certified plastic surgeon who can show you photos of nipple inversion correction. Best wishes!

David C. Yao, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for sharing your question on RealSelf.  Most women who see me for a breast lift ask this all-important question.  

My answer is yes.  With the technique I use, nipple sensation is preserved.  There may be some temporary numbness, pins and needles feeling or hypersensitivity, but this resolves within a few weeks to a few months.  It is due to swelling and bruising which is part of healing.

Inverted nipples can be improved with a small incision at the base of the nipple.  This may lead to nipple numbness but not numbness to the areola.  It is usually minor and not a concern to the patient. 

I always ask each patient before their operation if they have any diminished sensation to the nipples and areolas. The procedure preserves but cannot improve nipple/areola sensation.

Hope this helps.

Dr Spies

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and risk of nipple sensation changes

Any breast surgery involves risk of partial or complete loss of sensation.  Nevertheless, a good surgeon will make every effort to minimize the risk through certain surgical maneuvers.

According to some surveys, about 10 percent of patients experience nipple changes after their breast lift/reduction.

I hope that helps and good luck. 

Tarick K. Smiley, MD