Right breast not dropping (bottom of the right breast is only my tissue), will this require a revision? (photos)

I had a mommy makeover 10 weeks ago with a lift and 400cc implants. My left breast has dropped into place (over a month ago) but my right one doesn't seem to move at all. My PS says it is totally normal because I'm right handed and my muscle is just thicker on that side and in use more. I've been taking muscle relaxers, wearing the band and massage with no results. How do you know when it is not going to happen? Can my body start healing around the current placement?

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. Right now, you are early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Will Right Breast Drop?

You must remember that healing after surgery will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  No lifting or straining.  At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks. Now, if you are concerned with the time it is taking for the right breast to fall into place, then the best thing to do is to visit your surgeon in person to have the situation evaluated in order to make sure that healing progresses properly.

Breast augmentation - one side won't drop

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • The longer the implant doesn't drop, the more likely it is to need a revision.
  • Ask your surgeon if you can go braless.
  • A revision can be done as early as 3 months but usually 6 months after surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Both breasts heal differently

It is quite common for the two breasts to heal differently. One may swell more,
one may feel more uncomfortable, or the shapes may differ initially. After
complete healing, they should look more similar and natural. Patience is
required, but if you are concerned, ask questions to your doctor or the nursing

Implant won't drop

Breast implants drop at different rates when one compares the right to the left breast. Textured implants drop at even slower rates than do smooth ones. It seems that you are doing the correct therapies. However, you should really stress the down and inward message techniques to help the left implant move into the proper position.

Clearly one of the two is positioned higher at the moment , but this might still improve until 2-6 months after. If no improvement then it might be a good way to have a revision performed. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

One Implant won't drop

HI RJRich,

Thanks for your question and photos. At 10 weeks it is still early to tell what you will need for sure but usually the capsule has almost completely formed but it can soften or become hard. It is possible that capsular contracture is setting especially since you say that the implant does not move. Your implants have certainly started to heal around where they currently live. But, Since you are right handed it is possible for still be higher. At 12 weeks, I would say that the band will likely not do much or muscle relaxers. the only thing that helps at the point is time and gravity. I might discuss accolade with your plastic surgeon if the capsule is starting to thicken. Seek their advice as they are the ones that know best what was done. Some pre-op pictures may help in your assessment. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@breastlift @breastaugmentation @docmata #drcarlosmata

Breast not dropping

Yes, one breast does look higher than the other but 10 weeks is still too early to tell if you will need a revision. I would wait 6-9 months honestly. When this occurs I have my patients do all the same things are doing so it sounds like you are getting sound advice. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Right breast not dropping (bottom of the right breast is only my tissue), will this require a revision?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery.

After breast implant surgery, implants can take 2-6 months to settle into their final position. It is very common for one implant to settle quicker than the other. Although it's frustrating, give your implants more time to settle into their final position.

One Breast Implant Not Dropping and its been 10 Weeks? Rule out Capsular Contracture

Thank you for your question regarding why your implant is not dropping.   If your implants placement began symmetrically, and has changed, it may be that capsular contracture is forming.   Please ask your doctor to evaluate you for this.  There are several good treatments including massage (if your implants are smooth), or medication which may help.  If the implants were asymmetric from the beginning, it may be that the pockets are differentially placed.  I would ask your doctor to provide a specific plan for the different scenarios.  This will give you peace of mind.  Good luck!

Stephen Bresnick, MD