Looking to get breast augmentation. What size would be recommended for 5'7 and 150lbs?

Went to two consultations today and was unsure of which implant I feel comfortable with. My consults consisted of questions that lead the doctor the think I would like the silicone best. However, I have been watching videos/reviews and doing research and am slightly siding more with the saline. But I am still undecided as I do not know exact size I would be pleased with. If I'm looking for something "natural, yet perky", what would you suggest?

Breast Augmentation/Implants/Sizing/Saline or Silicone

A through consultation with an experienced surgeon will clarify the differences and your options easily.  The surgeon will give you options and guide you so you can achieve your best possible result and achieve your goals.  You can follow me on snapchat@drjsurgery as sometimes I explain the differences live on patient so you can get a better idea.  Also there are good examples on my instagram@drjplasticsurgery.

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check her/his experience, credentials, reviews, before and after photos, and have a quality consultation.  

It is preferred for your surgeon to be member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery". This means they have been evaluated by the society and recognized that the focus of their practice is high volume and quality, honest aesthetic plastic surgery and they adhere to a code of ethics.

All my best,

Breast Implant Selection

Selection of breast implant size, shape, profile, saline vs. silicone gel, etc. requires an exam with breast measurements. These decisions are not directly related to your height and weight. After I perform an examination I present the patient with a range of breast implants that would be suitable for their breast dimensions. They place implant sizers inside a bra with and without various tops to give them an idea of how they would look. I encourage more than one sizing session so the patient feels comfortable with the breast implant they choose. I recommend that you spend more time with your surgeon to make your choice. 

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

I have no idea what you are starting out with so it is hard to say. The implant really has nothing to do with your height or weight. It is more based on the breast measurements themselves. The right implant for you is really a long discussion in the office. I spend a lot of time with patients trying to laser focus on what they are looking for. You really should not be too confused in my opinion after two consults, because the consultants job is to educate you, and to listen to what you are wanting and then convey in words how they will deliver that result and advise you on the implant that will get you there. Come see my anytime if you want another opinion. I would be more than happy to help educate you and pinpoint that implant. And, silicone is really the standard today as it has the best feel compared to saline. Saline can be great for some people but most have silicone in this day and age. Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Doing research in anticipation of a breast augmentation can be quite exciting but also confusing.  I find very few patients these days selecting saline implants over silicone due to the significant advantages of the new cohesive silicone gel implants in terms of natural feel and overall safety and durability.  Too many of the saline implants deflate in the first 5 to 10 years and if your breast tissue is thin or becomes thin, the sense of a bag of water can be disturbing.

Sizing of your implants is a different matter and should be based on a face-to-face exam and a discussion of goals as well as realistic expectations.  Balancing your breast volume with the available skin while keeping in mind your nipple position allows a plastic surgeon to give you best advice and help to set guidelines.  I personally choose to have a variety of implants and test implants (sizers) available in surgery so that I can actually see the outcome from placement of different volume implants while striving to achieve the patient's goals.  Others choose to burden the patient with the choice of volume and some select an implant on the basis of measurements and a discussion of the patient's goals.  Any of these procedures work well for specific doctors but make sure that you are comfortable with your decisions before proceeding.

Best of luck and enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

'Doing Research'

Height and weight are virtually irrelevant for implant selection; your soft tissue or anatomic capacity is the most important determinant of appropriate implant size. Your aesthetic goals are best determined by using sizers in a tight bra in front of the mirror.

As for 'doing research' on line, you actually aren't. Google University is a fallacy, and the internet is 99% misinformation. Unless you are looking at YouTube videos on  DIY for around the house chores, stop looking to the internet for answers in complex areas such as medicine and science. Or at least go to reputable sites relevant to your question, in your case surgery.org (ASAPS) or plasticsurgery.org (ASPS).

Silicone gel implants are far superior to saline in every way, except price, and are equally safe. That is why more than 95% of American women choose them.  Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in breast surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Selection

Thank you for asking. This issue is very common. A sizing can really only be properly done in an in-person consultation as there are several factors to consider that even pictures cannot demonstrate fully. Chest and breast anatomy, skin envelope and your goals are all issues to consider and evaluate. The surgeon should be a board certified plastic surgeon (not board certified cosmetic surgeon) who has hospital privileges in Plastic Surgery. If the opinions differ significantly, consider more opinions to help you decide. Best wishes in reaching Your goals!

Breast Augmentation

Hi Cora, we do hundreds of both saline and silicone gel.  The saline can rupture and you know it right away, so needs to be replaced,and they can wrinkle more and may feel firmer, BUT they are less expensive and it you have a fear of gel, just do saline.  My video below discusses all of this.  You cannot tell the difference in a normal patients pictures between the two!! Here are a few tips for you ON SIZE because this is perhaps the hardest decision for a patient to make, as well as the surgeon.  Also see the video attached to my answer.  We spend up to two hours for our BA consults to be sure there is careful communication. We do a full exam in front of a full-length mirror taking six exact measurements.    We put your photos on a large computer screen for imaging, and go over your “ideal-size” photos. We then save this information to your password protected “web account.”

First and foremost the implant should fit the dimensions of your breast and tissue cover.  Balancing the implant to your over-all body shape and tissue cover is essential.    The main thing is to have the diameter of the implant fit the diameter of your breast "foot-print".  Higher profile implants tend to have a smaller diameter.  Higher is really a marketing term, but often translates into the same volume implant with a narrower base.  Saline implants actually tend to decrease in diameter as they are inflated!  The average size chosen over our last 7,000 breast implants was “350cc”.  BUT, 90% of our patients tell us they wish they were bigger a year after BA.  (We will see you every year for routine checks at no charge.) It’s like your mind incorporates the "new you" into your own self-image over a period of time. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc.  You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra.  The implant is also flattened somewhat when under the muscle, so it is a good idea to bump it up a bit. Approximately 1-ounce (25cc) is added to the final volume to account for flattening of the implant in the partial sub-muscular pocket.  Once you decide on a size you like, then add on 25cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your tissues.  Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy.  Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer.  Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan.  Keep in mind larger implants tend to have more problems over the years.  Since silicone implants wrinkle less than saline implants, they might be your best bet.

You can also approximate this at home by measuring out an equivalent amount of rice placed into a cutoff foot of old panty-hose, and put this in your bra.  Wear this around the house for a while, and see what you think.  Implant size must square with assessments of tissue cover, breast diameter, and chest wall width.  Multiple measurements of your chest wall are taken (seven in total).  Implant size selection has been an issue of much discussion.

Therefore, I use a wide variety of methods, but the implant size is always established preoperatively.  Also, patients are advised to bring reference photos demonstrating their ideal size and shape.  A photo album of patient pictures is maintained to assist them.  These photos ultimately help in determining where the implants will be placed, since they can be shifted inside (to provide more cleavage), to the outside, up or superiorly, and down or inferiorly during surgery.  In determining the final size selection, I always place the highest priority on the preoperative measurements and potential tissue cover.  Finally, your verbal requests are factored into the analysis.

We use the quick-recovery approach, so click on the web reference link below to have this explained and you can see the list of Quick-Recovery (Flash-Recovery or Rapid-Recovery) Breast Augmentation articles from peer-reviewed surgery journals.  It is a surgical procedure that uses special instruments and techniques to minimize tissue damage and avoid touching the ribs. It causes far less trauma to surrounding tissue than traditional approaches, and it dramatically reduces pain and recovery time. In published studies of BA patients, 95-percent of women interviewed after the procedure returned to normal daily activities within 24-hours. Quick-recovery BA is not a “gimmick.”  These specialized techniques, which actually speed recovery and get you back to your daily routine, kids and work, are published in our plastic surgery journals.  Because these PS journals are “peer-reviewed” and edited, they are the gold-standard in our field as being valid science. Therefore, these are sound techniques, not marketing hype. 

Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons).  Also, ask if the PS has an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year.  Be sure the PS has been in practice for a while, about 20-years might be a good gauge.  Does the PS offer all three incisions?  Discuss the implant type (gel or saline), shaped "gummy bear" or non-shaped, smooth or textured, implant pocket (over or under the muscle) and the "quick-recovery approach."  Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website.  If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view.  I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you.  You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center.  Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you.      All the best, “Dr. Joe”

What size Breast Augmentation should I get?

Hi Coraa,

Thanks for your question. It would certainly help in your assessment if you posted some photos. But, based on your question it all depends on your body frame, how wide your chest is, how tight your skin is, and most importantly what you're looking to achieve with your breast application. Perky but natural usually is a push-up bra look, which can be natural, but it depends who you ask.  Whether you get saline or silicone breast implants all depends on you. The pros and cons to each vary.  Saline Implants cost less but have a higher chance of rupturing and rippling. If you have thin breast tissue you are more likely to show rippling. Saline implants feel more firm, in my opinion.  Silicone implants feel more natural have a slightly less chance of rupturing, and less rippling. Sometimes I recommend shaped implants for a nice natural but perky look. These are the gummy bear implants.  

As far as choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon, the decision should be based on how you feel and if they can give you the type of result that you are looking at getting. Sometimes two consultations is not enough to find what you are looking for. I would recommend that you go online and look at their before-and-after's and find patients that are similar to you. Based on that you can call and schedule consultations with these plastic surgeons. Good luck.

All the Best,

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon

#BreastAugmentation

What size should augmentation should I get?

Thanks so much for your question.  It really depends on what you want not what the doctor wants.  It's also really important to try on sizers at a doctor office or see a doctor who has a digital sizing program.  I prefer to have my patients try on sizers that mimic what the implant will look like following surgery.  I take photos of the patients with various sizers with their own clothes on.  I think it's good to take in different types of tops (some tighter and more fitted and some more loose) so you have a really good idea of what you look like.  We then take photos so you can go home and show your friends or significant others how that looks and have them also weigh in on things.  

As for the saline/silicone, it depends on your preference and body shape.  It's perfectly fine to go with saline you just need to be educated how that will look vs how a silicone will look on your body so you can make an informed decision.  You would have to be seen in the office for more specific advice.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Looking to get breast augmentation. What size would be recommended?

Thank you for the question.  Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural, yet perky” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.