Breast augmentation scars. (photos)

I got my augmentation the end of August and I love my results my doctor did a great job but my scaring particularly on one breast scarred really bad. Is tattooing a good idea? If so how long should one wait? If tattoo isn't a good idea is there anything else I can do?

Breast augmentation scars.

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

What to do about bad breast lift scars?

Hi Rae369,

Thanks for your photos and question. It is possible to get tattooing but I would certainly wait. It is still too soon and the color will likely fade as the tissue/scar is not ready to maintain color. I would consider a scar revision before tattooing. Based on your original surgery, it seems that a lot of skin was removed. Now that it has stretched it is reason to cut it out and redo the scar and have a great outcome with good scars. Hope this helps. Wait 6 months for a scar revision and about 1 year for the tattoo. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Carlos Mata, MD, MBA, FACS

Hypopigmented scars after a Benelli lift

are challenging as your scarring could still widen due to the nature of that procedure.  But if you're trying to camouflage it, tattooing can certainly be done, realizing that it will need touch ups and changes in the scar itself can still occur down the road.

Curtis Wong, MD

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips.

Scar Management tips:

1. Minimize tension on the scar. Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar.  This minimizes the  stress that  can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and  delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.
  2. Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. Never apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection, contact your surgeon’s office right away and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”.
  3. Protect your scars from the sun. Staying out of the sun is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.
  4. Use specific scar maturation products recommended by your surgeon. Patients seem to have their own opinions on this touting everything from Pure Vit E, Coco butter, to Aloe Vera, etc but most have minimal benefit other than keeping the scar hydrated. Although hydration is important there are better, scientifically studied products with greater efficacy. Most of the scientific articles written about this subject indicate that topical silicone gel or silicone sheets work the best. The best product available in my opinion is the Embrace Scar Therapy System by Neodyne BioSciences, Inc. available in many surgeons’ offices. Essentially this is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar. For areas that are not applicable for this product (e.g. smaller areas or on the face), I prefer BioCorneum or Kelo-Cote products There are a lot of products to choose from, but silicone should be one of the key ingredients. Although Mederma, an onion extract derivative active ingredient rather than mainly silicone based may help, primarily silicone based products are better and many also contain other ingredients that may be synergistic (hydrocortisone or other steroid, Vitamin E, Sunscreen, etc).. If the reader has problems obtaining these they can call my office. Patient compliance is also critical – use often and according to directions or it will not work optimally. NEVER apply products without first discussing them with your surgeon.
  5. Monitor to make sure your scar is progressing optimally. Keep your scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon to verify that your scars are maturing as expected.  Occasionally if indicated you may need a topical steroid preparation or even a series of  injections (5-FU and/or Steroids) or laser treatments  to treat or  prevent scar hypertrophy or keloid formation (red raised scars), or other topical medicines to treat post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown scars) with prescription creams and possible laser treatments.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Nipple scarring after surgery

You may want to talk to your doctor about options to improve your healing such as laser, creams and sheeting.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Post op scarring

Thank you for your question and photo.  The photo of the right side shows some pigmentation loss around the scar on the areola.  This can take 6-12 months for the pigment to return.  It is more common in dark skin.  I would recommend waiting 12 months before tattooing or consider a scar revision with reducing down the areola again in 3 more months. 

Best wishes! 

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Benelli Lift

Your scaring is not good, which is common with the lift you got. Your areola and scars are under tremendous tension right now, and both will spread more before you completely heal, about three to four months. At that time you may want to consider tattooing, but right now you need to mechanically support your incision with some sort of tape. It can be simple like paper tape, more elastic and porous like hypafix tape, or silicone sheeting. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

3 months post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Augmentation/ periareolar mastopexy - scars

I would wait a little bit more and cut out the areas that you don't like under local anesthetic.  I would resuture the area using a different sutures material however I would not laser treat these.  I think the periareolar scars during mastopexy/augmentation are unpredictable.  Best Wishes!!

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Periareolar scars

Hi rae

I am so glad you are happy with the augmentation results.  You also appear to have a periareolar lift, aka Benelli or donought lift.  These are the scars you are referring to I believe.

One thing that I see is that there is still quite a bit of red in the suture lines, which is normal at this time.  I would recommend that you wait to do anything because as the red fades, the appearance will improve.  I would wait about another 6 months or so.

Good luck.

Sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD, FACS