"Bottoming out" or too high nipple placement post breast reduction?

Hi there, I am 23 years old. About 117 lb and 5"2. I am scheduled for a breast reduction in one week. I am worried about "bottoming out" of my breast post-op and that my nipple will look too high. My breast are currently 34D with moderate ptosis. How common are patient's unhappy with results of breast reduction for example 1 year post-op due to sagging? Thanks.

Worried about breasts bottoming out

The reason breasts "bottom out" is because in an inferior pedicle technique (which is done to preserve nipple sensation) the pedicle is large and eventually pulls the breasts down. The way to avoid this in a large pedicle is to use a technique called free nipple grafts. The downside of this technique is that there is no feeling in the nipples. Given your height and weight, I doubt you will have this problem. Your plastic surgeon should be marking you while you are awake so you can see where your nipples are going to be before surgery.  Good luck in your upcoming surgery.

Breast reduction and "bottoming out"

Clinical studies have demonstrated that breast reduction has one of the highest degrees of patient satisfaction of all the procedures that we perform in plastic surgery.  Physical symptoms such as back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, and bra strap grooving are relieved.  Furthermore, the social problems associated with large breasts are resolved.  While "bottoming out" is possible, it is far less common now than before as techniques to perform breast reduction have evolved, and as my colleague notes, if it were to occur, it is correctable.  Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Because of complications you are referring to are very unusual. Hopefully you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully. Now it will be important that you communicate your goals/concerns/questions carefully as well. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Worried about "bottoming out"

Breast reduction is the highest satisfaction and most life-changing procedure that I do.  Patient's are universally pleased with their results and with how much better they are able to function.  Bottoming out is a relatively rare phenomenon, and, when it does happen, it is correctable.  So I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.  Follow your pre- and post-op instructions, and you should end up with a great result.  Best of luck!