I'm aiming to get my BA in Aug, but I'm torn on the size? (Photos)

One PS said 350-400 would be great on me. Another PS said 325, max. See how I'm torn... I want the fullness and size while keeping it natural. I'm 5'4, 130lbs with hips wider than my upper body. Current size is 34A and I used to be a nice full C but lost them. Sigh. Any feedback would be greatly appreciate. No kids, but I cycle and run 6 days a week.

I'm aiming to get my BA..........

don't worry about the figures. It's all about the look. You should go back to your plastic surgeon and spend some time looking at different sizes and deciding what's right for you.

Perth Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

Anatomic capacity (biodimensional analysis or tissue based planning) and your aesthetic goals can potentially lead to two very different numbers.  ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons are likely going to measure your breast and chest dimensions to determine you anatomic capacity.  This is important because women who get implants that are beyond their capacity are at much higher risk for complications. 

Determining your aesthetic goals should not be based in cup size. For a multitude of reasons cup sizes are irregular and impossible to determine by using a given implant size.  So if a surgeon tells you that a given implant will give you a given bra size, he is merely guessing and is potentially wrong.  Instead, focus on your actual appearance in the mirror using sizers. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

I'm aiming to get my BA in Aug, but I'm torn on the size?

Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. A preoperative sizing kit is helpful in my practice. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.  Given your desires and photos as well as activity level, consideration for an anatomically shaped implant in the subfascial/glandular position is reasonable. 

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Implants/ Breast Augmentation/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Keep searching

The difference in size between the 325 cc implants and the 400 cc implants is five tablespoons of fluid more in the larger implant.

Breast Augmentation

Implant size for a patient cannot be determined without an exam and consultation. During the consultation you should deliver photos to your surgeon of augment patients that depict your wish look. It's not a bad idea to also show photos you don't like. With that information and an examination to understand your anatomy, the surgeon should be able to meet your goal. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Sizing

The best size depends on both your breast bio dimension measurements and your lifestyle. You also have skin laxity and should consider a skin lift. 325 cc seems reasonable but final size depends on in office visit. Best of luck 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Your breast implant size should be based on the base with measurement of your breast which her surgeon should have taken.  If you are concerned of 400 cc is too big mended most likely is.  The 325 cc moderate profile plus implant will most likely give you a full C cup breast in the same style and manufacture of brought to currently wear.

Try the Rice test at home which is described in the blog below.  Using the Rice test and a chosen C cup bra can be very helpful  in making your decision.

Best size for you!

Hard to answer this question without specific breast measurements AND an in person exam. Remember to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who actually takes the time to measure you and examine your breast pocket. Remember that sizers will only give you a rough estimate. The goal of breast augmentation is to optimally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. At my practice, we utilize a series of 5 breast measurements that help me determine the implant size, which in turn helps me deliver a 24 hour recovery. Do your research and choose a surgeon who takes the time to sit down with you and discuss your goals/expectations to determine the best size for you. Good luck!!

Breast augmentation - choosing the size

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.
  • One can't select implants without an examination but this may help you decide -
  • Buy a bra of the kind you want to fill out.
  • Go back to the surgeon you prefer, put on that bra and try on sizers - of 325, 350, 375 and 400.
  • The size that fills the bra you want to wear is about the size implant you want.
  • A 325 cc implant in a woman of normal height may give a full C look but not always.
  • (cup sizes aren't scientific but the full C look is a full normal).
  • But unless your chest is very narrow, you should be able to go larger than that if you want.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS