Am I a candidate for lingual or Invisalign braces, and do I need top braces to fix bottom teeth? (photos)

I had braces in high school, and was given a top retainer to wear every night and a permanent bottom retainer adhered to the back of my bottom front teeth. My bottom teeth have totally moved into a slant. I really don't want to have noticeable braces (again) and am hoping a clear or hidden set of braces is an option for me. Would I need to get top braces too? Also, would removable bottom retainers prevent this from happening again? Thank you.

Lets Talk Teeth

Dear Kayla..,

Thank you for posting on RealSelf.  I will do my best to answer your questions with the information provided.

In general, Invisalign and lingual braces correct the same problems as well as metal braces can.  Addressing your second concern, it is common to need both upper and lower treatment.  I recommend scheduling a consultation with an orthodontist in your area.  He or she will gather the necessary information to develop a thorough diagnosis and treatment plan.

I hope that this helps and good luck!

Dr. Jenn

New York Orthodontist