Would 600 cc's be possible? And do I need a lift? (photo)

I'm 19 in the Phoenix area. My breasts do not have underboob. I have a curvier body and I'm 5'9" with 38 diameter chest area. I believe having 600 cc's would give me my desired look. Will my skin be able to stretch enough? And is there anyway we could do the surgery without a lift?

No Underboob, What is Needed?

You have a variation of a tuberous breast which typically means a constricted breast (narrower with no underboob), with a wide space between the breasts and a protruding nipple. In addition your breasts are asymmetric in size along with asymmetry in the diameter of your areola.

A breast augmentation is almost always a component of the treatment of a tubular breast, but placing the implant is far more complicated than a standard augmentation as it will require lowering your inframammary fold and expanding the lower pole breast tissues. These maneuvers will increase your risk for other problems such as implant malposition and/or double bubble. A 600cc implant sounds a little large and it will require quite a bit of stretching of your skin and will also further increase of the other problems mentioned. You do not necessarily need a lift because you do not have a great degree of sagging or protrusion of your nipple, but a Benelli type lift might be considered to reduce your areolar size and improve symmetry.

Would 600 cc's be possible? And do I need a lift?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures. At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Would 600cc implants give me my desired look?

Thanks so much for your question.  It's important to go to a appointment where you can try on sizers so you will know how various sizes will look on your frame.  I think you might not require a lift but it will ultimately depend on the look you want to achieve.  If you want a "higher look" to the implants then you might need a lift to achieve that type of a look.  But if you are ok with full breasts that have significantly better cleavage but with a slightly more natural look then you very well might not need a lift.  You would have to be seen for an exam to know for certain but I think thats reasonable based on your photos.  Hope this helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

600 mL implants for tuberous breasts

Thereis an old song that goesyou can't always get what you want, you get what you need.  Without a physical exam it is difficult to tell whether your chest would hold 600 mL implant but that is not the only factor. Because your breasts are constricted they will have to be released. In addition a circular mastopexy board help the nipple discrepancy in the areola shape. This procedure also limits the size of the implant that can be placed . In my practice the ideal repair for your problem would involve intraoperative sizers that would be inflated after the pocket was made. This would give you the biggest implant size that would fit in your particular chest. In a situation like yours preselecting a size allows for a wish list but quite often the implant that goes in is a different size than selected due to physical constraints You should see a board-certified plastic surgeon who is very experienced in breast surgery. 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon.

Thank you for the question. Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting with asymmetric constricted breasts and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation and circumareolar breast lifting surgery.

Generally, some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).
Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
  Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.  I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for patients with constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Tuberous breasts

Your picture shows that you have a constricted or tuberous breast shape. You are a young woman and my opinion would be that 600cc is too large for your frame and in consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon you will be encouraged to have a peri-areolar lift along with a breast implant. Dr. Edwards