I'm 5'5 wanting to know if 550cc is too big? (photos)

I want a 575cc 550cc to obtain a DD / the size I want however the patient coordinator told me it's a bad idea and this won't be my first surgery I'll want another one and going smaller on such a big size won't be an option unless I get a lift She told me to do 500cc but based off the bra idk what to do I payed and my surgery is March 4th I'm scared I won't be happy !! I'm a b/c cup now 15measurment whatever that means One finger space between breast gap 5'5 143lbs

Is 500 too big?

Thanks so much for your question. It's never a matter of too big or too small. You need to understand what different sizes will do to your body so you can make an informed decision.  If you want to end up a certain size then you will need a certain size implant to accomplish this.  However, if you don't have adequate elasticity and soft tissue support a large size will make you droop over time.  Either way you will need another surgery at some point. This implant won't last forever. If that size implant seems correct then that will be the right decision for you. Good luck, hope this helps. 

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Size options

The trouble with using cup size as a goal is that there is no standardization for bra manufacturers to moderate Bra sizes. You will find that measurements vary between brands.

I recommend that you try on the implant sizers which your Plastic Surgeon determines to be a fit for you, then decide which volumes give you the look and feel that you want- regardless of cc's.

Without your precise breast measurements it would be impossible to provide you with accurate sizing. Bringing "wish pics" can help and sharing exactly the kind of result that you are going for with your surgeon will be important.

Be sure to seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Breast Augmentation: Information

Dear Ms. Brgonz,

Thank you for your story, questions and photos. Unfortunately without a exam of your tissue and measurements I can give you general information that I hope you find helpful.

I understand your concerns. Please convey them directly to your chosen Plastic Surgeon.

Based on your photos, here is some information that I hope you find helpful.

1) I in general prefer that implants be placed under the muscle (dual plane) because of the lower incidence of capsular contracture and the coverage the muscle provides.
2)I would advise round silicone gel filled implants (the profile to be determined by your chest measurements: see below)
3)Volume size to be determined as described below
4)the inframammarry incision is associated with lowest rate of post operative capsular contracture.
5) At your preop appt. and on the day of surgery bring several model photos of what you want your final breast appearance to look like

General overview of your choices and discussion points:
1) normal saline fill vs silicone gel fill
2) profile: low profile to high profile (choice based on chest measurements)
3) shape: form stable vs round
1) sub pectoral, dual plane
+ less chance for internal scarring (capsular contracture)
+ padding from the muscle therefore less chance of implant palpability (rippling)
- varying degree of animation upon pectorals major contraction ( breasts moving)
- longer immediate recovery
2) supra pectoral
+ in borderline ptosis (breast sag) can provide alternative need for mastopexy
+ faster immediate recovery
- increase chance of internal scarring (capsular contracture
- increase potential for breast implant palpability (rippling)

1) periarolar
2) inframammary
3) axillary

1) symmetrical
2) equal size
3) breast fold location

1) normal
2) high
3) low
4) symmetrical
5) too large

1) stretch marks
2) thin skin
3) elasticity

is a very personal choice
1)implants come in "cc" sizes not cup sizes
2) 30 cc = 1 ounce
3) purchase a full bodied, non padded bra and take a nylon stocking and fill until you reach the desired size you desire....measure the volume using a measuring cup and convert to cc's.

I personally choose the company that the breast implant base measurements and match to the patients chest measurements. Sientra only makes Silicone Gel filled implants. Ideal only makes Normal Saline implants (with internal baffles). Allergan and Mentor make both silicone gel and Normal Saline filled implants.

Don't hesitate to ask questions and please make sure your Plastic Surgeon is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and
a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

Dr. R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Implant size?

Thank you for your question. Breast size is a personal preference. If you are worried about the size, you can see your plastic surgeon and voice your concerns. This way, you will be able to explain your desires and figure out an option that fits you best. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Stay conservative

It is normal to have many questions before surgery and you should have them all answered completely to your satisfaction before you commit to the procedure.  My personal opinion is to stay conservative - you can always use a little padded bra to add a cup size if you really want a fuller look.  Implant weight is very significant:  475cc is a full pound.   That's a lot of weight on your chest and it will stretch your breasts within a fairly short period of time and you may end up needing a breast lift by the time you have a child and breast feed.  I usually recommend staying within a comfortable fullC-D range and implants in the high 300-400+cc range.  You need to get more opinions and be examined thoroughly.

Jeffrey Ptak, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

You are doing the right thing by worrying before surgery. I would suggest going back in and talking to your surgeon very specifically about your desires. I would suggest doing sizing and having the surgeon explain the size of implant they will use based upon your measurements. If they have Vectra 3-D imaging available I would suggest trying that as well. Your best chance of getting this right is the first time be sure you understand what you're getting and why!Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Implant volume

Thank you for your question and photo.

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I hope it is a successful one. You appear to be an excellent candidate for breast augmentation with implants. Spend time with your doctor discussing implant size. In my practice, we use silicone sizers as well as 3D imaging to help choose the perfect size implants for you. Ultimately, you have the final say in what volume you want. If you like the look of the larger size, then go for it. With that being said, studies have shown that the larger the implant, the more likely for a possible revision surgery in the future. Discuss your concerns with your doctor, but don't go into surgery with doubting your decision.

Hope this helps.

- Dr. Bryson Richards (Board Certified Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)

I'm 5'5 wanting to know if 550cc is too big?

Thank you for the question. There is no accurate/reliable/predictable correlation between size/profile breast implant utilized and cup size achieved. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "DD cup” or "too big" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Larger implant pros and cons

Hello and thank you for your question. The most important thing to consider is really the size and look that is appealing to YOU with the implants you choose. Many surgeons have sizing models whether using bras with implants or computer simulation. I encourage you to discuss with your surgeon many of these considerations when deciding which implant and size to use during your surgery. Additionally, a breast implant is a round object and has a certain diameter. Your base width on each side of your chest will determine "how big of a ball" or what diameter implant you can reliably go up to with a socially acceptable cosmetic outcome. The implant will "augment" or increase the size of your breasts to an amount acceptable to you and your surgeon. There is not a direct correlation between height/weight and base width; therefore, the base width should be measured as each person us unique. If your base width supports the implant size you desire, your surgeon should honor your request; if not, you should go to a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in aesthetic breast surgery and has good results with higher volume implants.

Having said that, I do think the coordinator gave you good advice.  500cc's is still a good size for you and I always tell my patients to go with the smallest implant that makes them happiest because "the bigger they are, the harder they can fall."  We know that larger you try to push the limits of your implants, the greater the risk for complications such as malposition, rippling, bottoming out, need for revision, etc.  Think about the pros and cons and do what you think makes the most sense for you not just now, but also down the line.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Choosing Implants

Thank you for the question and photos. The
choosing of implants is a very crucial and is one that should be done through
an in-person exam. Various aspects could affect the choice of implants
like breast tissue, body measurements, desired end result and the like.
Bra sizes also differ from one manufacturer to another so a carefully
selected implant can be able to get you very close to that size. It is
always best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full
evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic
surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS