3 days post injection swelling under left eye

my doctor used a botox needle to inject juvederm under my eyes. i had some swelling under right eye -- that seems to have gotten better but today i have a large lump under my left eye.

Swelling after fillers

Hello. Swelling can occur after having any type of filler and it may last for up to 2 weeks. I would see your doctor now,if you have immediate concerns, otherwise, keep your usual 2 week follow up. Sweliing can occur due to the actual injection process, with edema that is more common under the eyes where the skin is loose. It can be due to bleeding and bruising or the type of product used. As other MDs have mentioned, some fillers swell more than others. I do not usually recommend Juvederm or Restylane in this area as long term swelling can occur. Excess product can be dissolved with Hyaluronidase.

Toronto Dermatologist

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

I am not a big fan of juvederm under the eyes.  Regardless it takes 1-2 weeks for the swelling to subside.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm swelling under eye

This is not the proper filler for this area. Swelling from Juvederm is common and can last years. I use cannulas for this area too for better safety and less bruising. I would go back to your doctor to have a look. Chances are it will have to be removed with hyaluronidase. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Hello Veryyoungwidow,

I am not a big fan of using Juvederm in the area below the eyes because it tends to create more swelling than other fillers.  It is possible that you are simply having swelling which can take up to 2 weeks to go away, or it could be the filler being lumpy.  At this point massages can help but this should be cleared with your injector first. If after 2 weeks you still have that result there is a material you can inject to get rid of it the product and start over.  

I hope this helps and good luck.   

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvaderm reaction

Juvaderm often causes an initially inflammatory response that settles after a few days. If it persists, then the filler may need to be reversed.  You should follow up with your dermatologist or plastic surgeon within the next 7-10 days to determine if further intervention is required.

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm swelling

Juvederm is well known for creating swelling under the eyes, which can last for at least 2 weeks.  The type of needle used did not cause the swelling.  If it persists you can have it removed.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Needs some time

The lump could be soft tissue swelling, some blood, or the early stages of the product swelling.
Masage, ice,and time will help.
Have a recheck this week.

Swelling after filler

Hello, and thanks for your question.

Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling from Injections

There definitely is some swelling from injections that occur, especially in the under eye area.  If you are concerned about the swelling you should return to your treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green