I had 2ml of Juvederm put into my lips. I noticed my lips are uneven and lumpy. Any suggestions?

HELLO, I had 2ml of juvederm put into my lips at 6pm on wednesday- it is now 8pm on a friday- so over 48 hours and I've noticed one side of my lips is slightly uneven and lumpy. Should i wait a week to contact my practitioner to see if lumps and unevenness lessen? There is also a big bruise where the lump and uneven ness is- could it just be temporary swelling because of bruise? the practitioner i used is very experienced.

Lip Injections with Juvederm

It is common to have some swelling after lip injections.  If the swelling does not go down within 10 days I would suggest you return to your treating doctor for Vitrase injections to dissolve the Juvederm.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

t is common to get swelling after fillers into the lips. It is not normal to have irregularities or severe swelling. If you are unhappy you should speak to your physician and have the area injected with hyaluronidase, an enzyme that reverses the hyaluronic acid filler. For the next injections, consider Restylane Silk with cannula injection, this technique will limit the pain, swelling or bruising after the filler placement. It often takes up to two weeks for swelling to subside on its own. Find an expert in filler injections for your future treatments. Best, Dr. Emer.

Lumps at 24 hours

I would let your provider know but I suspect it will be ok. If there is a bruise on that side you may be uneven until that resolves. Lips are  very prone to swelling and you need to plan ahead for that

Shelley Halper, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Uneven appearance after Juviderm

The very early results after fillers like Juvederm are not a true reflection of your final result, so I would give it time before you worry too much. I personally dislike the fillers I get for a couple of weeks because of the firmness and swelling and have to tell myself to just relax and wait. (We doctors don't always make the best patients). 
In the meantime there are things that you can do to speed the healing. Early use of cold compresses and elevation can help with the swelling. Arnica Montana and bromelain (available at health food stores) can also speed the resolution of your bruising. We use a product called Arnica Forte (which is a combination of the two), and it even comes in a topical form that you can apply directly to the bruised area. Your injector might also have access to a BBL or IPL devise that can speed resolution of the bruising.
It is good that you selected an experienced injector, and bruising is just extremely common when treating such a vascular area. I'm sure your practitioner would appreciated hearing from you next week if you still have concerns because they might have some other advice to speed your healing. I would strongly discourage you from intervening (like adding more product) more for several weeks until you can see the final result. I'm sure your practitioner will also appreciate you taking this approach. Good luck!

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon