2.5 weeks post op TT due to ugly scar and BA. My incision under breast are irritating but tape is on like super glue. (photos)

I've made sure to allow time for tape and area to dry after showers. Is it possible moisture got in there & I is irritating the incision? It doesn't hurt to touch just irritating,. Dr said I could take tape off at 3 weeks, I want to peal it off now so scar can scan dry up & fully heal. I've read people taking tape off at 2 weeks. Is it the tape holding incision together or stitches? My nipples hurt the most, & one is bruised. How long do I have to deal with nipple pain?

2.5 weeks post op TT due to ugly scar and BA. My incision under breast are irritating but tape is on like super glue.

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information and pictures as well. If the tape is making your skin worst, and irritating is better to take it off. I highly recommend to visit your PS  for an evaluation and to be checked. Good luck :)

Mommy makeover recovery

If the tape is irritating the skin it should be fine to remove it, although you should double check with your surgeon first.  The tape is used to give support and protection to the incision at the beginning stages of healing.  The incision is stitched underneath is, usually with dissolvable sutures. The nipple soreness will resolve over time, as will the bruising.  Be sure to keep all follow up appointments with your surgeon so he/she can monitor your progress through recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

Healing and Recovery Following a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. Also some severe scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

You should be able to take the steristrip off since you are 2.5 weeks after surgery

you definitely can safely remove the steristrip esp if it is irritating. 

the nipple bruise will resolve over 2-3 weeks. it is not uncommon.

the pain can take some time. i would massage the area.

hang in there, it will get easier and better with time.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Incisions should be fully healed by 2.5 weeks.

Different surgeons have different protocols they follow regarding removal of tapes, etc.  I place all my sutures under the skin and the sutures don't dissolve for 3-4 weeks.  I remove my tapes in 1 week.  The tape only gives a small amount of support to the incision, and protects the fresh incision from clothing rubbing against it but the sutures are what has put the skin edges exactly together.   By 2.5 weeks, the skin edges should be healed enough for the tape to be removed without concern.  To be sure there aren't any other issues not discussed here, see your plastic surgeon.

2.5 weeks post op TT due to ugly scar and BA. Tape is on like super glue.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  In most cases the glue or tape placed over incisions will fall off naturally after 2-3 weeks time.  If yours have not you can safely remove them as your scars should have healed sufficiently from the sutures placed underneath the skin.  Hope this helps.

Hurt

While I am certain you could take the tapes off without consequence, you should direct these questions to your surgeon.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Irritated BA incision.

Thanks for your questions. Your surgeon is the only one that knows how your incisions were closed. They probably used both stitches and glue. In my opinion if your incision is irritated take off the glue to make sure everything is fine underneath. In regards to your nipple pain, just put lotion on your fingers and message them several times a day and your symptoms should resolve in a few weeks. Nipples often get "hyper sensitive" after BA due to the stretching of the nerves. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Breast Augmentation scar

Thank you for your question.  I recommend calling your surgeon and discussing your concerns and asking all these questions.  Keep all your follow up appointments as well.  If you have seen your surgeon, it is best to follow his/her instructions.   Some patients are very sensitive to adhesives and it may be that you fall in to this category. Pain is different for everyone and can last a couple days to 2-3 weeks for some.    Best, Dr. Fazilat. 

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon