Can Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty reduce the appearance of tear trough? (photo)

Im 20 years old and Im thinking of getting lower eyelid transconjunctival blepharoplasty. I could really notice my tear trough especially in harsh lightings which make me look a lot older than my age. I searched that transconjunctival is less invasive compared to other type of blepharoplasty. Do you think it will reduce my really puffy tear trough?

Doctor Answers 5

Tear Trough

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Cheonsadiana, The groove on your cheek is a malar groove and the trough under the inner corner of your eye is a tear trough. Transconjunctival fat removal will not improve the malar groove. Either filler or surgery to release the deep ligaments causing this groove will permanently improve both or filler can help for a year or so. The surgery can be performed transconjunctivally but need to do more that just remove fat which will make both worse.
Mark Codner, MD

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Transconjunctival surgery will not help the line you have marked in the photograph.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
What you have marked is the mid cheek groove.  It is not helped with transconjuncitval lower  eyelid surgery.  If fact, this surgery can make it worse.  All you need is a small amount of filler to fill this groove.  Never let anyone inject you with silicone oil.  Do not buy product on line for this purpose.  Accept treatment only form properly licensed surgeons using legitimate products.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Blepharoplasty for suspected tear trough?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Blepharoplasty for suspected tear trough? You have a malar groove not a tear trough. NO SURGERY! Small amounts of a filler like Restalyne or Belotero from an experienced injector. 

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Tear Trough Deformity

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your provided photo doesn't really show a tear trough deformity.  It appears you have some swelling in the area.  I call that area over your cheek bones the "sponge" of the face as they swell easily.  It is possible the line above the arrow could be softened with some dermal filler, but I don't think surgery is the right answer for now. Sometimes fillers in these areas can worsen the swelling as well.  I would proceed with caution.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Blepharoplasty in a 20 year old

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From the photos, I do not think that you are a good candidate for blepharoplasty by any technique. You have no redundant skin  and wrinkles that are treated by blepharoplasty.
Also, your tear trough is too low on your face to be improved by blepharoplasty.
If you want to have something done, I suggest having someone inject a small volume of hyaluronic filler into the troughs. I never inject more than 0.3 ml per side and be sure that the person injecting you if familiar with the technique.

John Newkirk, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.