What causes teen gynecomastia? What medications for a teen who has it for several years? Type of doctor to consult? (photo)

Hi, I am 17 years old from Philippines and I have man boobs since I was 11 or 12 years old. I really feel conscious about it since a lot of people especially my classmates, friends, cousins and even my parents tiss me for having man boobs. I also tried to workout for about half a year and now i stopped it for about a month ago since its super busy in school. I see a very little improvement when I train and I feel that my boobs gets little, little. But my body gets slimmer faster than my boobs.
To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Teens and Gynecomastia

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Gynecomastia Treatment

Hi Jenzo23,
Thanks for the post and the photos. It is unfortunate that you have had to endure teasing by people around you.  For true gynecomastia there is no medication that will work. Only surgery will correct it. You need to see a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

What causes teen gynecomastia? What medications for a teen who has it for several years? Type of doctor to consult?

Consult with a board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in person examination.  People can be so cruel in making you conscious of the issue.  The problem can be corrected with direct excision and liposuction.  Medicines such as hormones ,kidney, and liver drugs can contribute to the problem.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Gynecomastia comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and "mastos" meaning breasts. It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males.

Although there may be many “causes”, most cases are idiopathic (no specific cause). The use of certain medications, drugs, organ dysfunction (kidney or liver), hormonal imbalances etc. may also be causative. Persistent gynecomastia is often best treated with partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.