Scar Revision or Dermabrasion? (Photos)

I'm 22 yrs old. I have 2 chicken pox scar and I got them since I was a baby. The scar is not so deep. I was planning to remove it or to somehow make it less visible. So I was wondering which procedure should I go for? Scar Revison Z-plasty or Dermabrasion? I've been also using dermapen for 3weeks and I think I can see some improvement. But I want it to be less noticeable within the month if I wear a make up Thanks!

Dermabrasion

Thank you for your question. Dermabrasion is most effectively performed on the face and can correct scarring. I suggest that you move forward by consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dealing with Chicken Pox

Hey Ruby, 

I have many patients present with your same concerns. My approach is that if we excise them, we trade a scar for another scar. This is not ideal but occasionally the scar of removing the pot is better than that pot mark. 

I like to do dermabrasion first. This way, we try the "non-invasive" manner first and usually we're able to blend or hide the pot mark so as to not require surgical removal. If the patient still is unhappy with the scar after dermabrasion, then you haven't burned any bridges and you can proceed forth with excision. 

Good Luck!

Philip K. Robb Jr., MD
Evans Physician