I did a rhinoplasty two months ago and I saw a form of keloid inside my nose. How to get rid of this? (Photo)

I did a rhinoplasty two months ago and I saw a form of keloid inside my nose. How to get rid of this?

Best to address this question to your operating Surgeon. Without a good set of photos and the benefit of physical exam it is impossible to comment accurately.

Keloids do not form inside the nose after a rhinoplasty.

I can make nothing in all out of the photograph. Intranasal keloids do not occur. A granuloma or similar wound healing manifestation may be what you are describing. This will need to be examined by your surgeon.

Keloids in the nose are extraodinarily unusual

Thank you for your question.  Your photo did not yield sufficient clarity for me to determine whether you where attempting to demonstrate an intranasal scar from closed rhinoplasty or external scar from a closed rhinoplasty.  Keloids at both sites are extradinarily unusual.  Immature, thick, red scars are common at 2 months following a surgical incision.  Surgical scars of the nose are usually self limiting.  When intervention is necessary I will usually use injectable diluted steroids.  I will also incorporate a scar massage protocol when a poor quality scar arises at the columella incision site of an open rhinoplasty.  Wishing you well with your scar progression.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Scar after rhinoplasty

Scar tissue is rare inside the nose.  If this is developing in a way similar to keloids, treatment with injections to reduce the amount of scar tissue produced may be needed.  if you are seeing swelling this may take several months to resolve and not require any treatment but time.  Best Regards

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with 2 months after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Excessive scarring in an alar base reduction

It does appear in the photo that you may be developing a raised scar area in the area where your nostrils were narrowed. At this stage it looks more like a hypertrophy scar (excessive scar tissue limited to the scar area) than a keloid (scar tissue spreading outside the original scar). It may be appropriate to undertake some steroid injections. Silicon scar gel is also appropriate. 

I would recommend returning to your surgeon as soon as possible to discuss these and monitor them closely. 

Jason Roth, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sending a picture.
Scars can become thickened after rhinoplasty, and some of this is part
of the normal healing process and will improve with time.

When scar thickening is beyond what we normally expect, there are a variety of options for improvement.
These includes scar fading cream and silicone sheeting- this can help prevent and reverse thickened scars.
When not responding to more conservative measures, injections of either steroids (kenalog) or 5-FU can bring a more immediate improvement. On occasion, laser treatment with a pulsed dye laser can help scars.

I would recommend following up with your surgeon to see if any of these treatments may be indicated to
help the look of your scars-
With time and appropriate treatment, this thickening should be reversible.

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon