To exercise or not to exercise?

i had botox mostly on my eye areas with the same doctor for more or less 5 years now. There was once in 2 years. Once in 1 year, once in 6 months but not earlier than 3 months. So far the results were great. In December of 2015 i had botox with a different doctor, her instructions were not to exercise the treated area, while my first doctor's instructions were to exercise the treated. Which one is correct and proper?

Muscle activation with Botox

When a muscle is injected with Botox, the treatment will be more selective to the targeted muscle when that muscle is activated immediately after the injection to allow for selective pick up of Botox. Clearly it makes more sense to activate the targeted muscle after botox treatment rather than rest it. Your new doctor may have meant to tell you not to exercise after Botox treatment which is correct but not to advise you against exercising the treated muscle.

Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Moving injected area of Botox

I tell my patients to exercise the area for an hour. I feel it helps absorb the Botox. I don't think it makes a huge difference though

Steven F. Weiner, MD

I do not think exercising the area or not will improve the results.  It is a matter of injection technique and individual needs. Best of luck.

Exercising muscles after botox

Hi there and thank you for the question. 

Generally I advise that patients do not massage areas where Botox has  been instilled as it is, early on, possible to massage the Botox to an area where it will not be beneficial or indeed may act in a fashion that is unwanted leading to a suboptimal outcome. Conversely I say that the patient may use the muscles of facial expression normally, rather than specifically exercising them. 

There is some early evidence that using or exercising the muscles where Botox is to be  used might help the efficacy and longevity of Botox effect but it is too early to say as yet and in any case these studies hint that exercising the muscles which Botox is targeting is best done before rather than after use; I would stress that this is very early days in the assessment of Botox in that particular way. Basically however exercising the muscles is not harmful and in my view may have marginal beneficial effects.

I hope that you find this information helpful.

Best wishes

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Exercising muscles after Botox

Botox came to prominence based on its use for the treatment of intractable spasms of the eyelid muscles, a condition known as blepharospasm. People with blepharospasm have no ability to stop the contraction of these muscles, yet Botox was effective enough to gain international attention. This is good evidence that Botox is very effective even when muscles are contracted a great deal after treatment.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

To exercise or not to exercise?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Exercise of the facial muscles injected with Botox will not alter your results, either positively or negatively.  Botox will have its own area of diffusion based on the concentration used.  Hope this helps.

Botox and Exercises

There have not been any studies to show that exercises and Botox make any difference at all.  For the best cosmetic results please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox. each provider may have different post-care instructions. Usually it is recommended to avoid massaging the injection site. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps. 

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Exercising Muscles after Botox treatment

Botox blocks signals from the nerves to the muscles. The injected muscle can no longer contract, which causes the wrinkles to relax and soften. Botox is often used on forehead lines, crow's feet and frown lines. There have not been any studies about the effects of exercising facial muscles after Botox treatments. It is thought exercising the muscles allows the Botox to spread through the muscles and work more quickly. I have not seen any difference in exercising the muscles or not. I tell my patients it is there choice to exercise the muscles.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Botox and exercise

Each physician may have their own opinion, but that's all it is. There have not been any scientific studies which show one way is better than the other. I wouldn't massage the area immediately after injection, but moving the muscle won't hurt anything. Be well, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon