Dental Implants 23 Years After Tooth Removal?

It's been 23 years since I lost all my upper teeth and I'm wearing a full denture, I am already 45 years old and I am a heavy smoker, Is it still possible for me to have dental implant?

Implants

HI:

There is a great possiblity that you can get all on 4 implants even at this stage.  However, in order to give you an accurate assessment, X-rays, CT scan and models are necessary.  Smoking can also have an impact on the implant integration with the excisting bone and future success.  

Dr. Maddahi

Beverly Hills Dentist

Full Arch Dental Implants

You can still be a candidate for dental implants even If it's been 23 years since you lost all your upper teeth. You will most likely need some bone grafting done since there will have been a lot of resorption of your jaw bone over those 23 years. If you're smoking more than 2 packs a day, it can be considered an absolute contraindication for implant placement until you cease or drastically reduce your smoking. Smoking has been shown to impede the healing process and can increase the risk for graft and implant failure.

Dental Implants

The first thing I would recommend is you stop smoking. It is a good chance that with all this time that has passed you've suffered bone resorption (the loss of jaw bone) and possible gum infection. Even if there was bone grafting to assist with the implant, if you continue to smoke the implant will not be able to bond with he jawbone and cause implant failure. The success of your implants can be determined by your willingness to stop smoking. I suggest contacting an implant clinic and getting a CT scan to determine if there is any bone loss, and how it can be resolved. 

Rajan Sharma, DDS
Chicago Dentist

Dental Implant

You must have enough bone in your jaw to allow an implant to be placed in the jawbone. You should be free of periodontal disease. Implants are not recommended for:

• Smokers
  • People who have autoimmune diseases or take medicines used for these conditions
  • People who have had radiation therapy to the head and neck
  • People with uncontrolled diabetes

A dental professional will examine you and determine if you are suitable to get implants.

Shahin Safarian, DMD
San Diego Dentist