Closed Technique for Asian Rhinoplasty using Ear Cartilage. Is this right for me?

Had consultation with my doctor. I told her what i wanted done. Just raised the bridge a little higher, alar reduction and refined the tip to suit all the changes (My tip is not bulbous, its just my alar tend to widen when i smile). She Told me she's going to use closed techniques. I google and do my research comparing open and close method almost all of them always do open when doing all works which is bridge, tip and alar. Please share some insights.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Many surgeons prefer rhinoplasties because they offer a more detailed and predictable approach to nasal contouring. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. You can also receive a second opinion during a consultation to compare potential procedure approaches. 

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed vs open

It depends on the experience and preference of your surgeon. Most modern Asian rhinoplasties tend to be performed open and more work can be done to the tip this way 

Closed Technique for Asian Rhinoplasty

Hi charmedagain,

The issue of choosing between a closed technique and open technique is a matter your surgeon's preference, however, in most cases, Asian Rhinoplasty can be done with closed technique, unless its a revision procedure, or it will involve complicated tip work.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty

The best way to visualize how above changes will look is to perform computer imaging with your plastic surgeon.

You will be able to achieve the most refinement and change with an open procedure, but a subtle change is certainly possible using a closed technique.

Donald B. Yoo, MD